Discussion to focus on ‘practical side’ of business

Sarette Albin and Kate Strickler S

Globalization and the future of business and technology are planned for discussion Friday on campus by an expert panel that includes three ISU alumni.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy will give opening remarks at the panel discussion, sponsored by the Colleges of Business and Liberal Arts and Sciences, which will be held in the Gallery of the Memorial Union from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

“We are looking to develop closer ties with the practical side of business. We think it will benefit the students to have more realistic and personal ways to experience the prospects available to them,” said Brian Campbell, senior director of development of business for the ISU Foundation.

“It’s going to be a very informal atmosphere at the Union, with plenty of time for a student-initiated question and answer period,” he said.

This is the first year the event has been held, but it is not meant to be a recurring event, said Dan Ryan, program coordinator for the College of Business.

The discussion will be moderated by Lloyd Taylor, retired corporate vice president and chief information officer of Cargill Inc. and former CIO of Hewlett-Packard.

As a member of the management information systems advisory council, Taylor played a large role in organizing the entire event.

The panel will consist of Carl Chang, professor and chairman of computer science, and Doug Troxel, founder and chairman of Serena Software.

Campbell said Troxel will discuss various issues in advancing technology and successful development methods.

David Kingland, chairman, CEO and president of Kingland Systems Corporation, and Jeff Townsend, chief of staff of Cerner Corporation, both ISU graduates, will highlight issues regarding changes in business, specifically in international expansion and public policies.

Students are encouraged to attend and participate in as much of the discussion as possible. Campbell said most of the panel would be made up of audience interaction. Student response would determine if similar events continue.

“We’d love to pack the room,” Ryan said.