Organist will perform on ‘king of instruments’

Joshua Haun

Young children often spend hours daydreaming about what they want to be when they grow up. But somewhere along the way to adulthood, those dreams are usually left unrealized or become radically altered.

This was not the case for organist and professor Mark Babcock, who says from a young age he knew he wanted to play the instrument.

“I’ve always been fascinated with the organ,” Babcock says.

“As a 5-year-old, I would sit in the aisle at church so I could watch the organist play.”

Now, he’s his own “one-man orchestra,” playing on the “king of instruments.”

As a child attending church services with his family in Newton, Iowa, Babcock says he was drawn to the massive sounds a pipe organ can generate.

“It was the grandeur of the organ’s sound as a kid,” Babcock says.

“It was just kind of magical to me.”

Babcock says in addition to the pipe organ’s ability to generate unique sounds, the instrument’s physical presence also impressed him.

“Unlike any other instrument, it’s huge and loud,” Babcock says.

“It’s often called the king of instruments.”

In addition to teaching organ and voice at Central College, Babcock also serves as Dean of the Central Iowa Chapter of the Guild of American Organists.

Aside from that, Babcock serves as organist and director of Fine Arts at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Des Moines.

Babcock says he wouldn’t be able to balance his various endeavors without the support of family, friends and co-workers.

“It is difficult because I have my hand in so many things,” Babcock says.

“I’m surrounded by people who are supportive and helpful.”

Of all his jobs, Babcock says he finds teaching the most rewarding, because he’s able to help students discover a love for music.

“I get to see students cultivate great joy and great beauty through the expressive arts,” he says.

Babcock says in addition to having a lifelong interest in the pipe organ, he also knew at a young age he wanted to be a teacher.

“I began directing choirs and teaching piano lessons in high school,” Babcock says.

“It’s kind of been something I’ve always done, working with other people and trying to help them.”

When playing the pipe organ in a recital setting, Babcock runs through the spectrum of emotions.

He said he often finds himself depleted after performing.

“I’m exhausted by the end of a recital,” he says.

“I feel like I’ve gone through major emotional drainage.”

Babcock says the physical challenge presented by playing the pipe organ can take a physical toll.

The pipe organ, Babcock says, is a complexity, that includes three keyboards and a pedal board, that allows the organ to create such a large and varied sound.

“The physical complexity is great,” Babcock says.

“Sometimes people will call the organ a one man orchestra.”

Who: Pipe Organ Recital with

Mark Babcock

Where: Martha Ellen-Tye Recital Hall

When: 7:30 p.m., Friday

Cost: Free