Board of Regents discuss future of Internet-based instruction with Iowa Communications Network

Jared Taylor

Internet-based instruction is the key to the future success of distance-education coursework, ISU administrators and Iowa Board of Regents said.

Despite the widespread use of distance education in Iowa, the medium by which distance students receive their education sparked concern among Regent members during the first day of the board’s September meeting Wednesday afternoon at the University of Iowa..

The use of the Iowa Communications Network has declined at Iowa State and the University of Iowa during each of the past five years in favor of Internet-based classes.

Although the use of web-based distance education programs continues to expand while the use of ICN declines, state educational funds continue its support, said Mary Ellen Becker, Oskaloosa Regent and chairwoman of the education and student affairs committee.

“We are putting a lot of money into the ICN that is not being used by the universities,” she said.

“We are paying a big chunk of the money, whether you use it or not. To be in the 21st century with distance education, we need to rely more on computer courses.”

Ben Allen, ISU provost and vice president for academic affairs, said the reduced costs and increased student convenience of web-based instruction make it the accepted distance-learning medium.

“From our side, new technologies are superior for costs and flexibility,” he said.

Bob Downer, Regent from Iowa City, said the needs of distance-learning students must be a priority to the Regents.

“I think we need to be very conscious of distance learning needs and opportunities,” he said. “The people who avail themselves with distance learning don’t have a choice to come to campus.”

Becker said despite low use of the ICN at Iowa State and the University of Iowa, all institutions are improving their methods with distance education.

“I think all of them have been working on expanding distance-education courses,” she said.

In addition to debating the future of the ICN, the elimination of the Bachelor of Applied Physics program was approved. There are no students enrolled in the program this semester.

The academic calendar for the 2007 through 2011 school years was also approved. The 2007 to 2011 academic calendar will be the same as the current calendar structure, with 15 weeks of instruction in the fall and spring semesters and one week of final exams.

Cindy Browne was also confirmed by the Board as director of the newly formed Iowa Public Radio.

The Regents will reconvene as a full board 9 a.m. Thursday in the Maucker Union at the University of Northern Iowa.