Vander Plaats tailgates with fans, raises funds

Fred Love

Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob Vander Plaats joined the ISU College Republicans in the Jack Trice Stadium parking lot before Saturday’s football game to raise donations for a Hurricane Katrina charity benefit and to discuss concerns with increasing tuition.

“The American public’s response to Katrina has been tremendous,” he said. “I feel like the work the students did today really represents what this country and state are about. I got to meet some great people today, and I really enjoyed myself.”

Nicole Woodroffe, president of the ISU College Republicans and senior in political science, said she was pleased with how the drive went.

“We collected a lot of goods,” Woodroffe said. “We ended up raising a lot of money, and things like shampoo and clothing.”

She said the ISU College Republicans had been planning the drive for more than a week, but a last minute complication caused the drive some problems.

She said the drive was originally planned for the south lot but had to be moved after they discovered it was full. Though it may have caused some confusion, Woodroffe was still proud of the results.

“Everything came together in the end,” she said.

She said the ISU College Republicans were glad to meet Vander Plaats.

“He’s a very friendly guy,” she said. “We always appreciate it when politicians take the time to visit with us.”

While two of the three Regent universities in Iowa battled on the gridiron, Vander Plaats voiced his concerns with the steep tuition spikes students at the schools have been experiencing.

“The big thing to protect students from tuition increases,” he said, “you need a government that understands money.”

He said the state government’s handling of tuition costs the last few years has left much to be desired.

He said he would like to institute a system that would allow students to know exactly what their yearly tuition costs will be at the start of their collegiate careers.

“I want students to know just how much their tuition will be up front. I want students to know what their tuition will cost them the moment they sign up,” he said.

Although Vander Plaats wouldn’t pick a favorite team or make any predictions about the game, he said he loves what the intrastate showdown between the Cyclones and Hawkeyes brings to the state of Iowa.

“This game is great for Iowa,” he said. “It’s such a healthy rivalry. I love seeing tailgate parties where so many ISU and Iowa fans intermingle.”

He said the atmosphere of the stadium makes the game more special.

“This is a great place to watch a ball game,” he said.