ISU students see increased federal grant distribution

Joseph Augustin

Increased distribution of student grants this year was a result of successful efforts by the Office of Financial Aid to get students to fill out financial forms. Additional federal grant money was also available this year for ISU students.

“We did do a huge effort to get students to file their Free Application of Federal Student Aid by March 1, and saw an increase in the number who filed on time,” said Roberta Johnson, director of student financial aid.

Besides sending out additional reminders via e-mail, students also received postcards, which reminded them of the deadline to fill out the FAFSA .

“This is our first effort with the postcards and we are pleased with the results,” Johnson said.

She said extra efforts have been made to inform incoming freshmen and transfer students.

“We typically are discouraged by the number of students that come in during August and ask what they need to do,” Johnson said.

Miriam Destival, senior in interior design, was pleased to get the additional reminders.

“I am going to Rome this fall so I am really going to need my financial aid,” she said.

“The e-mail reminders helped me make sure I got my FAFSA in on time.”

Filing the FAFSA by the March 1 deadline means students qualify for the three grants offered at Iowa State.

Two of the grants are federal; the Pell Grant is awarded to students who file a FAFSA and show their family contributions are less than $3,850. The amount students receive can range from $400 to $4,050.

The other federal grant is called the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant. Students receiving this grant must also file their FAFSA on time, be eligible for a Pell Grant and show exceptional financial need. The federal government gives schools allocations of money, which vary.

“Last year, we received $850,000 and this year we received $1.3 million,” Johnson said.

The ISU Grant is funded by Iowa State. It is also based on financial need but students do not have to show they are “exceptionally needy.”

All grants given are based on financial need and not academic performance.

Johnson said a common misconception is that the FAFSA only needs to be filed once, but in fact it needs to be completed every year.

“We wanted to remind students it’s important and necessary to do it again,” she said.