Student-athletes perform well in and out of classroom

Chris Mackey

ISU student-athletes once again finished among the top after they posted a combined average of 3.01 for the spring semester. This is the sixth time in the past seven semesters this has happened.

Additionally, the athletes improved their overall GPA by 0.09 of a point after finishing the fall semester with a 2.92.

The student body as a whole finished the spring with a 2.84 GPA.

“The quality student-athletes that our coaches bring to campus is reflected in the outstanding performances we are seeing both in the classroom and on the playing field,” said athletics director Bruce Van De Velde in a statement.

“Donald Reed and his staff in Student-Athlete Services have done an excellent job in staying involved with our student-athletes’ academic progress. We appreciate the support our student-athletes receive from the ISU faculty and staff.”

Donald Reed, director of Student-Athlete Services, said in a previous interview after the fall report was released, his goal for the athletes was to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.

“I feel really proud of our student athletes,” Reed said.

“It is very gratifying to make our goal. We are going to continue to set that goal higher to improve our grade point average.”

The women’s tennis team improved their fall 3.31 GPA with a 3.45 showing in the spring, beating all other female teams. On the men’s side, the golf team once again led with a 3.02, down from their 3.08 they achieved in the fall.

“I’m always proud of my guys’ academic success in the classroom,” said head men’s golf coach Jay Horton. “It’s a credit to them to be able to have a team GPA that’s more than 3. We’ve always been consistent.”

The final spring GPAs for the other Cyclone sports were not available for release yet, Reed said. He thought those figures would be available at the end of the month.