Relive magic of ‘Beauty and the Beast’

Heather Santic

Not many elementary school students can say their teacher’s second job is being a princess.

But along with teaching music to kindergarten through fifth graders in Waukee, Alison Beaird began rehearsing her role as Belle in the Des Moines Playhouse musical, “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast,” which runs July 14-Aug. 7.

Beaird, who makes her acting debut in the musical, says being around children helped her prepare for her role.

What: “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast”

Where: Des Moines Playhouse, 831 42nd St., Des Moines

When: 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday, 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday, through August 7

Cost: $17 students, $28 or $30 public

“Belle isn’t a child, but she is young,” she says.

“[Teaching] helped me click back into that sense of being a child and what that felt like.”

Ian Mostrom, ISU freshman in performing arts and a member of the cast, says both children and adults will enjoy the play.

“College students can appreciate it because the story is part of their childhood,” he says.

Erin Conley, sophomore in performing arts and one of the three “silly girls” in the play, says there is also “a lot of humor” in the musical intended for adults.

Unlike the Disney movie, the play focuses more on the characters’ relationships, Beaird says.

“There are definite scenes touching more on the relationship between Belle and the Beast,” she says.

“It’s a good romance because both characters came from such different pasts.”

Mostrom, who began acting at age 7, says the play differs from the movie because it is performed live.

“Watching a performance live involves more use of the imagination,” Mostrom says.

“And the audience can connect with it better.”

Music also helps the audience connect with the characters, Beaird says.

“Music plays a huge part in this show,” she says.

“The songs really introduce you to the core of the characters.”

The musical numbers make the play exciting for both the audience and the cast, Mostrom says.

“It really energizes the stage,” he says. “The actors really get a lot of energy, and it helps the audience get into the scene.”

The musical is unique because the audience becomes involved with all the characters, not just Belle and the Beast, Beaird says.

“The audience really roots for everyone and for love to win.”