Criminal pasts may determine rejection

Adam Graaf

Beyond good grades and high class ranks, admittance into Iowa State can also depend on a clean criminal record.

A question on Iowa State’s applications for undergraduate, graduate and non-degree admission asks applicants: “Have you ever been charged with a violation of the law which resulted in probation, community service, a jail sentence or the revocation or suspension of your driver’s license?”

“It’s very clear what we’re asking for. If applicants answer ‘yes,’ they must provide more details about that disclosure,” said Keith Bystrom, associate counsel for University Counsel.

Answering ‘yes,’ however, does not mean an applicant would be turned away from Iowa State.

“In a vast majority of cases, most students are admitted,” said Associate Director for the Office of Admissions Phil Caffrey.

In most cases, minor infractions are reported, and these applicants typically do not pose a threat to other students. Those students the Office of Admissions does identify as having a more serious background could be subject to certain stipulations or conditions, he said.

“A student may have to consult with the Office of the Dean of Students or not be allowed to live in student housing,” Caffrey said. “It happens so infrequently, I can’t think of any examples.”

Neither Caffrey nor Bystrom could speculate whether Loren Huss, who was released May 25 when a Polk County jury determined he was not a sexual predator after spending 19 years in prison for a 1986 killing, would fall under these types of conditions if admitted to the university.

In a May 31 Daily article, Huss’ public defender, Mark Smith, said Huss has talked about attending Iowa State.

Any applicant whose crime has been expunged, or erased, from his or her record after a successful completion of a deferred judgment does not have to disclose the specific crime; anyone who has a felony conviction or served time in prison must still answer the question, though, Bystrom said.

“In Huss’ case, he would have to answer this question. There’s no way he could get around it,” he said.

Caffrey said the question was added to applications a few years ago but was not prompted by any major incident or event.

“We just felt the question was appropriate given Iowa State’s concern for the safety of its students and staff,” he said.

Iowa State is the only Regent university that asks applicants about their criminal pasts on both undergraduate and graduate applications.

Iowa implemented legislation requiring sex offenders to notify the sheriff of the county of the college or university “within five days of becoming a student, being employed or engaging in vocation at the institution.”

The state is then required to disclose that information to universities who, in turn, can notify students and faculty; potential students with less severe crimes are protected against disclosure under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Bystrom said.

Eligibility for other benefits, like financial aid, would not necessarily be affected by an applicant’s past conviction.

Roberta Johnson, director of ISU financial aid, said the U.S. Dept. of Education asks applicants seeking financial aid only about past drug convictions on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid; other criminal convictions would not affect an applicant’s financial aid eligibility.