Campustown complex to open this year

Adam Graaf

A new apartment complex in Campustown is projected to be open for potential residents by December 1.

Located at 217 Welch Ave., a location formally occupied by McDonald’s, the four-story, brick exterior complex will contain 45 single and double apartment units, said Todd Petersen, project manager for Jensen Design Build Inc. of Ames.

The first floor will be committed to two commercial spaces and parking for tenants, and the other three floors will be residential, Petersen said.

The cost of individual units has not yet been determined, and Petersen declined to comment on whether any businesses have leased either of the commercial areas.

A February Daily article, however, quoted Dickson Jensen of Jensen Design Build Inc. saying “one is almost leased to UPS.”

According to a 2005 assessment, the total value of the property, including the building, is worth $699,300.

Ames Deputy City Assessor Paul Overton said that assessment was based on the value of the construction as of Jan. 1.

A new appraisal should be made in 2006.

The building’s design is in accordance with the standards defined by the University Impacted Area plan and the land use policy.

Ames City Planner Jeff Benson said this “reflects the goals and aspirations of the community.”

The University Impacted Area consists of transitional zones between campus and low-density residences, he said.

“All developments you see in Campustown are consistent with the land use policy,” Benson said.

The new complex is located in the Campustown Service District. All complexes in the service district must have commercial spaces on the first floor, a parking area must be provided because no parking is permitted in front of the property and designers can build right up to the property line, he said.

“We had an advisory board that helped work out these standards, which included students, neighbors and business owners,” Benson said.

Tony Borich, student ex-officio City Council liaison, said the regulations discussed by the board “can have a big impact on what builders can accomplish, and that affects what will be available to students.”