Vet Med professor’s tool earns 21st teaching award

Ina Kadic

While developing a software tool used at four veterinary medicine colleges across the nation, an ISU professor received her 21st teaching award.

Holly Bender, associate professor of veterinary pathology, received the 2004 National Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award from the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, a Washington, D.C. based organization.

“We look for a demonstration in sustainable excellence in teaching veterinary medicine,” said Andrew Maccabe, associate executive director of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges.

“The software is made so you can first collect data and next try to form a diagnosis.”

— Holly Bender, associate professor of veterinary pathology

“We look at the candidate’s teaching philosophy — that is very influential in who gets the award.”

Bender has led the development of Diagnostic Pathfinder, an innovative clinical instructional software tool, which instructs students how to gather and analyze laboratory data before arriving at a hypothesis.

“The software is made so you can first collect data and next try to form a diagnosis,” Bender said. “Then you drag and drop the data underneath the hypothesis. This way, students can’t jump to conclusions.”

She said she uses the software to guide her students through the process.

They first look at the collected data and then put it in outline form using the drag and drop mechanism.

“When you come out at the end, you come out with an outline form of a rationale for your diagnosis,” Bender said.

Bender joined the ISU faculty in 2002, and since 1983, she has received 21 teaching awards.

“Students are very brilliant and motivated, and it is an extreme pleasure to teach,” Bender said. “I developed this way of thinking through the lab data, kind of like Sherlock Holmes.”

She is scheduled to receive the award July, 17 in Minneapolis.