ISU Ambassadors want to increase membership

Sheena Chihak

Leaders of the year-old ISU Ambassadors program are looking to increase membership next year, although leaders said the program has been successful in its goal of introducing students to state politicians.

“One thing we’d really like to do is work on our membership,” said Rachel Geilenfeld, director of the program and junior in political science. “We want representatives from every county in Iowa, which is a hefty goal.”

The group has approximately 50 members, Geilenfeld said, but with nearly 100 counties in Iowa, they have recruiting to do before they can reach their goal.

Just adding members is not enough, said Nathan Zoromski, a member of the program and senior in finance. He said members need to actively participate.

There are several ambassadors, but attendance at meetings could be better, Zoromski said. Lobbying is a big part of the program, but participation is very low at these events. The larger events have higher attendance, but there is always room for improvement, he said.

Word of mouth is how the program has added members in the past, said Angela Groh, Government of the Student Body president and founder of the ambassador program. Next year, additional recruitment techniques will be implemented.

“We will be at ClubFest and doing heavy recruiting before that date,” Geilenfeld said.

Groh said she was encouraged to begin the ambassadors program for two reasons, to aid in communication between ISU students and their hometowns and to address issues concerning tuition and government relations.

A very effective way of lobbying is for ISU students to talk with legislators in their home areas, so when in session and making decisions, the legislators have a reference to think back to and know what the students want, Groh said.

Groh said she has been happy with what the program has accomplished so far, especially in their success with making contact with 90 percent of all the legislators on Regents Day at the Capitol.

Zoromski said ambassadors are focused on benefiting ISU students and the senators have noticed them and are appreciative of their efforts.

“Why should they push for us if we’re not?” he said.

The ambassador program has been viewed as a success by many, Geilenfeld said, but like any other group, there are areas where they can improve, such as increasing the number of visits to the Capitol.

According to past Daily staff reports, former GSB president, Sophia Magill, said the ambassadors would be making weekly trips to the capitol, but this was a goal the group did not meet.

“We were not able to visit the Capitol as frequently as planned,” Geilenfeld said.

“Part of the reason we did not visit weekly was due to the fact that we tried to focus mostly on our big events spring semester, which is also when the legislature is in session.”

Ambassadors have two major events that both take place during spring semester, Regents Day at the Capitol and Meet the Future of Iowa, Geilenfeld said.

“Regents Day brings student leaders from Iowa State, the University of Northern Iowa and the University of Iowa together to speak with their hometown legislators,” Geilenfeld said.

Meet the Future of Iowa is an event held at Iowa State that brings student and state leaders together for a more formal reception with several speakers, Geilenfeld said.

She said in addition to the major events, ambassadors learn about the Capitol, the state universities and bills going through the legislature that pertain to students. Members are encouraged to communicate with their hometowns about activities at Iowa State, Geilenfeld said.

Joining the ambassadors is an easy way to get involved with the GSB and have an impact, Groh said.