New Ames dairy farm to be built

Erin Mccuskey

A new state-of-the-art dairy facility could help attract students to Iowa State’s animal science program.

The animal science undergraduate program has seen a decrease of about 100 students during the past 10 years, according to the ISU Fact Book. In fall 2004, 564 undergraduate students were enrolled in the program.

There are about 70 students enrolled in the dairy science program, which has remained steady over the years, said Maynard Hogberg, chairman and professor of animal science. The new dairy facility could bring new attention to the animal science program in general, however, and with it, higher enrollment.

“We live in Iowa, we’re the field of dreams,” he said. “If you build it, they will come.”

Hogberg said the new facility will be utilized by all students in the animal science program at some time in their curriculum. He said labs are held at the facility, and students in the College of Veterinary Medicine use the farm in their clinical rotations.

“It’s an on-farm hospital,” he said. “They’ll come out there and take care of the sick and injured animals.”

Dairy science students extensively use the farm, Hogberg said, and the farm offers employment to several students. The farm will employ seven or eight people full time and 12 to 15 students part time. Many of the full-time employees will be coming from the dairy farm that is closing in Ankeny.

The new dairy farm will be located about three miles south of Ames off State Avenue, according to the plans for the facility. It will replace the Ames farm on Mortensen Avenue, closed in 2003 because of budget cuts and the Ankeny farm. The proceeds from the sale of the Ankeny farm will go toward the new dairy facility.

Hogberg said the Ames farm, which is still owned by the university, may be used to expand the horse program. The horse farm would move from its location on the north side of Kildee Hall to occupy the farm that isn’t in operation.

The site for the 887 acre farm was purchased by the Committee for Agricultural Development, a nonprofit organization affiliated with the university, for $6.25 million from Knapp Properties Inc. of West Des Moines.

Steven Fales, chairman and professor of agronomy, who is on the board of trustees for CAD, said the purpose of the committee is to assist the university in the planning and management of its properties.

“It’s a real challenge, to be forward-thinking and forward-looking, making sure there are adequate facilities for the future,” he said.

He said one goal is to develop the properties in a strategic and logical way, preventing a patchwork of little landholdings, but rather aiming to consolidate facilities. The new dairy facility fits into this goal, as it is adjacent to the other university animal science facilities.

Construction is expected to begin in the fall, which would allow the facility to open spring 2007 at the latest, Hogberg said.