Three ISU throwers hope to change ‘Tornado Alley’ into ‘Cyclone Alley’

Jess Jochims

Most tornadoes in the United States form in an area called “Tornado Alley.” This area includes parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska.

Senior discus and hammer thrower Tony Stewart believes Oklahoma may be called something different after this weekend’s NCAA regional meet.

“You know that Oklahoma is Tornado Alley,” Stewart says, “but if we have a strong head wind and we all work hard, it’ll become Cyclone Alley.”

Iowa State is sending three throwers to Norman, Okla. for the NCAA regional meet. Senior Jamal Cann and freshman Chase Madison will compete in the shot put, while Stewart participates in the hammer throw. All three are also competing in the discus.

Only the top three throwers will earn invitations to nationals, and throws coach Dan O’Mara said all three have the ability to advance.

“Jamal has the best shot of making it in the discus,” O’Mara said.

“Chase does have a good chance, if he throws well enough, to make it in the top five in the discus; Tony does too.

“There are five guys who threw over 200 feet in regionals last year that are gone. There will still be tough competition, though.”

Cann earned a trip to the national meet last year, and that accomplishment created some goals for him at the season’s start.

“I am going to try and win it all,” he said.

“It is extremely important to move on to nationals.

“It just depends if I can get my technique going for me; sometimes it’s on, and sometimes it’s off.”

Cann secured a personal record in the discus this season with a toss of 190 feet at the UNI meet. O’Mara says the mark is one of the best in the country.

“Jamal is looking really, really good,” O’Mara said. “He has a chance, if things are working right, to win this meet.”

Like Cann, Madison is concentrating on the discus instead of the shot put because of wrist injuries. He says he’s better in that event anyway.

“I am just going to throw the shot for personal achievement,” Madison said.

O’Mara has been very impressed with the freshman thrower.

“He is doing pretty good,” O’Mara said.

“I would say he is one of the best in the country as far as freshmen go. That is a great job, but he doesn’t want to hear that he is just a freshman. He wants to be a national champion.”

“I consider it a big accomplishment,” Madison said.

“It was one of the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year.”

Madison earned a personal record in the discus at this year’s Drake Relays with a mark of 175 feet.

“I think it’ll take [184 feet] to get in,” he said.

“I think if I throw well, I will give myself a shot of making [nationals]. There are a lot of guys in the same area as Tony and I; right around the 54-55-meter range.”

Stewart thinks he has a good chance of making nationals in both of his events with personal records of 187 feet in the hammer throw and 180 feet in the discus.

Both Cann and O’Mara think Stewart has a good chance with the discus.

“He’s been coming along pretty well,” Cann said.

“If he throws 190 feet, I think he should go.”

Cann and Stewart have been instrumental in Madison’s nurturing, O’Mara said.

“They’ve done a great job with Chase,” he said. “They’ve taught him how to train, to compete, how to treat others and how to do homework in classes. I know Chase is going to miss both those kids because they made a great impact on him.”

“They’ve been through the ring a few times,” Madison said. “They pretty much coach as much as Coach does.”

The veterans told Madison to not get too worried about regionals.

“They keep telling me this isn’t too much different from the Big-12 meet,” Madison said.

“It’s just different competition.”

Since this is Stewart’s last year, he has looked fondly at his career at Iowa State.

“It couldn’t have been better,” Stewart said. “I’ve really enjoyed my time here; I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I could’ve had a better year, but I did my best.”

Madison and Cann’s shot put is Friday at 6 p.m. with Stewart’s hammer throw at 3 p.m. Saturday. The discus, which all three are competing in, is Friday at noon.