Students assemble, fail to break record

Erin Mccuskey

Students gathered on Central Campus on Thursday to demonstrate their right to assemble, and at the same time made an attempt — albeit small — at breaking a world record.

About 200 students simultaneously read John F. Kennedy’s inaugural address as part of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication’s First Amendment Days celebration. The goal was to assemble 1,111 people, which was symbolic of the First Amendment, to break the Guinness Book of World Record’s mark for the most people reading simultaneously in one location. The record was previously set at 1,000, but a group in Gary, Ind., set the bar at more than 6,000 people after the ISU event had been planned.

Government of the Student Body President Angela Groh and GSB Vice President Chris Deal led the reading.

“I think it is important to be here to recognize the First Amendment rights guaranteed to us all,” Groh said.

“Today is a good way to articulate these rights — students can gather in the middle of campus because the freedom of assembly is a guaranteed right.”

Alicia Ebaugh, First Amendment Days committee member, said the record attempt was originally meant as a fun way to organize the event, but it ended up tying in other guaranteed freedoms.

“Speaking brings in freedom of speech, especially with the reading we chose,” she said.

Ebaugh said they chose Kennedy’s speech because it seemed the most relevant.

“It’s a very inspirational and touching piece that still talks about things relevant 40 years later,” she said. “It really emphasizes peace and freedom, and represents the freedoms we have here today.”

Jim Coppoc, lecturer in English, said he postponed his English 306 poetry class to be present at the event.

“Most of my students were planning on being here,” Coppoc said. “Poetry has many of the same concerns as journalism.”

Ames Police Chief Loras Jaeger participated in the event, as well.

“The whole discussion of the First Amendment — it is an important issue in our country,” he said.

Jaeger said he thought the event was a reminder to the community of guaranteed rights and the issues around them.

Ebaugh said she was disappointed more people did not participate, but said she was happy it served as a reminder and celebration of the freedom of assembly.