Chasers liquor license discussed by City Council

Ina Kadic

A correction was added to this article April 13.

Because of a reporting error, the April 13 article “Chasers liquor license denied because of late tax payment” incorrectly reported the result of the City Council’s deliberations on Chasers’ application to sell liquor. The City Council approved a six-month license for the business, rather than the typical one-year license. The article’s headline was also inaccurate. It was modified April 13. The Daily regrets this error.

Chasers, 2401 Chamberlain St., has been denied its class C liquor license for six months because of failure to pay taxes in full for 2004.

Ames City Council members passed a motion to deny Chasers’ liquor license at its meeting Tuesday.

Chasers had a tax lien on it in order to allow the city to repossess the building to receive tax compensation.

Scott Davis, co-owner of Chasers, said he was not in charge of finances and did not know about the tax lien. Davis said he did not become aware of the lien until mid-March and has taken it upon himself to pay the outstanding taxes. The payment was made on Monday.

City Attorney John Klaus said the council was allowed to not renew the liquor license because taxes were not promptly paid.

Councilman Matthew Goodman said completely denying the bar’s liquor license was unnecessary and hopes Davis will do a better job in looking after the business’ finances.

“This is a risk of doing business with other people,” Goodman said. “I will not support denying [liquor licenses].”

In other business, representatives of the Ames Neighborhood Association met prior to the regular council meeting to share their different neighborhood’s organizational structures, issues and concerns with City Council members and Ames residents who attended the City Council meeting.

There are 43 neighborhood associations in Ames. Some neighborhood groups are more active and have informal councils or host social events. The meeting was a way to share ideas for enhancing community relations with other neighborhood associations.

Ryan Doll, Towers Residence Association neighborhood representative, said he has a concern about where students are choosing to live.

He said students seem to like living in houses or apartments that are in neighborhoods.

“We’re trying to stay away from the high-rise apartments,” Doll said.

“Also, students are no longer wanting to live on campus; we have noticed decreasing numbers of students living in residence halls.”

He said student interest in family neighborhoods is the reason some Ames neighborhood associations are having trouble with loud parties and disturbances, as more and more ISU students move into these neighborhoods.

Doll, Government of the Student Body TRA senator, said even though Towers will not exist for much longer, its residents would like to find other ways to remain active in the Ames community as they move into new neighborhoods.

One goal of the group is to set up a Web site that would feature the Ames Neighborhood Association map that would provide Ames residents with information about their association and other neighborhoods.

Councilwoman Sharon Wirth said she would like the neighborhood associations to keep in close contact with the City Council members in order to increase communitywide communication. She said it is important for communication to be happening all the time, and not just when city or neighborhood problems arise.