GSB to vote or let issues die, with reintroduction next year

Dan Slatterly

The Government of the Student Body will need to either vote on anything introduced at Wednesday’s meeting or allow it to wait until the fall.

Ryan Doll, Towers Residence Association senator, said anything not voted on in the meeting will die for this session and must be reintroduced next session, since Wednesday will be the final GSB meeting of the 2004-05 academic year.

The newly-elected senate held the first meeting of its first session last week. It will meet again at the beginning of the fall semester.

Greg Shepherd, GSB speaker of the senate, said the GSB Rules Committee held two items back from debate in the senate.

A resolution for the endorsement of the Worker Rights Consortium was held.

This resolution, if passed, would put GSB support behind Iowa State becoming affiliated with the Worker Rights Consortium, an organization that assures that clothing apparel is not made in sweatshops.

The other item that was held in Rules Committee would change the bylaws in order to make the Inter-Residence Halls Association one constituency.

This was brought forth when Richardson Court Association and Union Drive Association were dissolved by IRHA.

Doll said his livelihood as a GSB senator rests with the senate’s decision on this bylaw change. He said TRA will be closed and he will have no constituency unless the senate passes the bylaw change effectively making him a representative of IRHA.

“Without this I don’t have a legitimate constituency,” Doll said.

Any senator can move to pull items out of Rules Committee during the meeting, he said. Once the motion is made, two-thirds of the senate needs to vote in the affirmative to make the items part of the agenda.

In other business, a resolution will be introduced to put GSB support behind a study to see if it is feasible for a public transit improvement to simplify travel between the Main Street Cultural District and Central Campus.

Andrea Smook, GSB off-campus residence area senator, said the possibility of a direct transit route from Central Campus to Main Street would increase the interaction between ISU students and permanent Ames community members.

Though the resolution will first be introduced at the meeting, Smook said she or Tony Borich, College of Design senator, will probably motion to waive the first reading of the bill and move directly into debate.

The GSB meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.