Drake Relays provides larger stage for small-town high school athletes

Ricky Rud

Ask any high school athlete who’s ever competed at the Drake Relays what it’s like and they’ll tell you basically the same thing — it’s a big deal to make it there.

The Relays have been the stage for some of the greatest athletes in the world, and this year will be no different as several Olympians and other notable athletes will compete.

The Relays are also open to Iowa high school athletes who qualify.

Megan Mathias, sophomore in mechanical engineering, ran the 4×800 and 4×400-meter relays for Tipton High School in 2002.

“They have all the classes together, and since we’re a small school it was a big deal for us to make it,” she said.

Mathias said one of the biggest differences between a regular track meet and the Drake Relays is the spectators.

“It was cool because you know people there are actually track fans and not just parents,” she said. “They also have unusual events like the steeple chase and pole vault, which aren’t typical of Iowa high school meets.”

Mathias remembers watching former UNI hurdler Joey Woody winning his seventh Relays title and getting his third win in the 400-meter hurdles in 2002.

Betsy Hertz, senior in food science, competed in the discus for Nevada High School in both 2001 and 2002.

“It was a fun atmosphere,” Hertz said. “At the state meet they have the girls divided into the three different classes, but at Drake they’re all together.”

She remembers watching Abby Emsick of Lewis Central in Council Bluffs win the discus. Emsick now throws for the University of Kansas.

Kelly Greenfield, junior in mechanical engineering, competed at the Drake Relays all four years of high school for LeMars Community from 1999 to 2002. Coming from smaller meets in Northwest Iowa, Greenfield was in awe at the amount of people in attendance his first time at the Relays.

“Your adrenaline is pumping a lot more because of all the people there watching you,” he said. “Just the whole atmosphere [was amazing].”

Greenfield remembers watching Cyclone defensive back Nik Moser win the 400-meter hurdles for Fort Dodge Senior High in 2001.

Andy Flattery, sophomore in management, competed at the 2002 Relays on Fort Dodge St. Edmond’s 4×100-meter relay team. He said the best part of going to Drake was the track’s tradition.

“It’s got that classic blue track, old fieldhouse and wooden bleachers,” he said. “You run around that track and you know some of the greatest athletes in the nation have run there.”

One of Flattery’s memories from his childhood is going to watch former Hawkeye sprinter and current New England Patriot Tim Dwight run.

Two of the big names of the high school ranks Flattery remembers seeing in 2002 were former Cyclone and current Iowa basketball player Adam Haluska and Iowa State distance runner Dan Taylor.

“I considered [Taylor] a great athlete,” Flattery said. “He tore it up that year.”

Taylor was named the high school boys’ outstanding performer after winning the 1600-meter and 3200-meter runs.

“It’s a pretty cool experience,” Taylor said. “Especially the first time. Being a kid from Iowa, it’s a big deal.”

His best memory came his senior year of high school in 2002 when he won the mile race 20 minutes after Kenyan Olympian Bernard Lagat had won the special invite mile.

“I’m running on the same track as him,” Taylor said, “And then 20 minutes later, Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton ran.”