Forum to discuss proposed changes to disciplinary regulations, penalties

Adam Graaf

Proposed changes to university disciplinary policies and penalties regarding group disturbances are set to be the central focus for a public forum Thursday.

The forum will be an open discussion of the university’s proposal to change student disciplinary regulations, an amendment specifically defining the conduct expected of and the penalties for individuals involved in group disturbances.

University Counsel Paul Tanaka and Dean of Students Pete Englin will attend the forum to answer questions, but Tanaka said he hopes the forum focuses on what students have to say about the proposal.

“We often deal with feedback saying more student input is needed,” he said. “The purpose of the forum is to make sure students who have a voice or want to suggest changes can, that action is taken.”

Tanaka also said he has already received some initial feedback on the new regulations.

“There has been an expressed concern about their effects on free speech and protest activities, but these changes are addressed at group disturbances,” he said.

“They were an outcome of the Veishea task force and tied to the recommendations of the task force’s report.”

Director of Judicial Affairs Bethany Schuttinga said the forum is the last step in the process before ISU President Gregory Geoffroy decides whether to approve the policy changes.

GSB Vice President Chris Deal said he expects few students to attend Thursday’s forum.

“It’s not much of a student issue,” he said.

“For the most part, [the changes] just give a better definition of mass disturbances and how the university plans to deal with them.”

Deal said ISU administrators have been trying hard to advertise the forum in order to get the best feedback.

“I’m interested to see what students say, but unless there’s a large student response, which hasn’t happened yet, I don’t think there’s going to be a problem with the changes being passed,” he said.

GSB College of Design Senator Tony Borich said he agrees.

“It’s kind of self-evident, at least from an administration’s point of view. They want to show that they don’t want students involved in disturbances.”

The forum is scheduled to be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in 1115 Pearson Hall.