Englin says dean position may give a unique edge in director candidacy

Adam Graaf

Faculty and students boast about one Department of Residence director candidate’s past experience and, if he is chosen, look forward to his future accomplishments.

Pete Englin, one of four final candidates for the position, said the experience that qualifies him for the director’s position began in 1979 when he became a residence assistant at North Dakota State University.

Ten years later, Englin came to Iowa State to work for the department as the marketing and conference coordinator, and later as coordinator of residence life.

Englin, now the dean of students, said his position has taught him about ISU students.

“[My] role entirely focuses on the success of students and creating a partnership that will assist students in achieving that success. I serve ISU students, and as director it will be my primary responsibility to further ensure that success,” Englin said.

As the dean of students, Englin said he is responsible for managing 13 departments. He said his experience makes him better prepared than the other candidates for the director’s role.

Todd Holcomb, interim director of the department, said 20 candidates submitted applications for the position. Ginny Arthur, associate director of residence life, is the other finalist from Iowa State.

The Department of Residence director oversees about 9,000 students and family members, Holcomb said, a position that comes with a lot of responsibility. At the time former director Randy Alexander resigned in July 2004, his salary was $120,286, according to the 2003-04 and the 2004-05 ISU Budget Books.

As dean of students, Englin made $92,000 in fiscal year 2004.

“Regardless of who is provided the opportunity, I’m committed to the Department of Residence and its continued success — I trust that the right decision will be made,” Englin said.

Penny Rice, coordinator of the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, said she has known Englin for six years and considers his need to get all sides of an issue before making a decision his greatest strength.

“He never forgets why we’re on campus — to meet the needs of students,” she said. “He’s the type of leader that leads with care and real intention.”

Rice said the department needs a strong leader who can balance fiscal and student issues.

“[Englin] will fit in well with the auxiliary department; he has both personal skills and budgetary skills,” she said.

This reflects Englin’s own concerns about the difficulties he would face if nominated, he said.

Because the Department of Residence is an auxiliary department — one which needs to generate its revenue to operate — he said he will make sure he understands the budget.

“The greatest challenge [will be to] create an environment that students want to live in, and one that will provide the department to be fiscally successful,” he said.

The department was forced to cut $3.1 million from its 2004-05 budget, which included the elimination of the Fresh Start program and the academic resource coordinator positions, according to Daily staff reports.

Chris Patton, who has worked as Englin’s secretary at the dean of students office for six years, said Englin’s background makes him the best-qualified candidate, and that his down-to-earth attitude and work ethic would benefit the department.

“Everything he does is student-oriented,” she said. “He’s very involved with student organizations and attends a lot of functions.”

Former Government of the Student Body vice president William Rock said Englin would attend meetings to which students were not invited if issues students were concerned about were addressed.

“There are always different perspectives, and Pete sees both sides — that will help; he can still be an administrator yet be respected by students,” Rock said.

Rock said the new director would need a good mind for business.

The department needs to get out of debt, and the big issue is making sure the residence system stays full, he said.

“If [Englin] does get selected, it’ll be tough to see him go from the dean of students, but he’ll be good no matter where he ends up,” Rock said.

Englin will participate in an open forum from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union.