Fashion show will span ‘Spektrum’ of style

Lauren Burt

A futuristic fashion show set to the beat of London-style dance music is a rarity in Ames.

But the 23rd annual textiles and clothing fashion show, a student-produced event called “Spektrum,” will bring one right into the heart of the city at Stephens Auditorium on Saturday.

With 50 students involved in the production, the show will feature 60 models and 65 garments along with guest designer Oliver Helden.

Co-producer Whitney Landa, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production, thinks this year’s show will be unlike any other.

“I want the show to be very futuristic and modern,” she says. “The music is new from London, and I’ve been working on the music by myself since the beginning of planning for the show. We wanted to create a completely different atmosphere.”

Landa is working with director Jenn Reicherts, co-producer Kelly Piedot and modeling committee director Amanda Cox to coordinate the planning for the event. The director, producers and committee members each play a role in the production, which is bigger this year than it has been in the past because the show has moved to a bigger location.

“Moving the show is a big challenge and honor,” Landa says. “In the past, the show was at Fisher Theater, and now we are able to do more with the show. The runway will extend five rows into the audience. We won’t have a live DJ, but having pre-recorded music enables the models to hear the music ahead of time at practices.”

Roughly 50 students are involved in the production, and 60 student models were picked from two days of tryouts that screened more than 200 hopefuls. The 20 male and 40 female models will show off 65 garments that will be on display at the reception following the show.

The garments are categorized by collection: casual wear, evening wear, experimental design and urban wear.

Awards are presented in each category, from first to third place, including the highly prized best-in-show award.

For Jenny Kenkel, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, this year is her first time modeling in the fashion show.

She has previous experience with her modeling agency, Model Truth, located in St. Louis.

“I definitely enjoy doing runway more than print,” Kenkel says. “I’m really glad that I’m involved with this show — it has been time consuming but I’ve enjoyed it.”

Kenkel will be wearing three garments in the show; one garment is a modern twist of a straight jacket.

“When I’m on the runway underneath the lights, it gives me more confidence than I usually have in everyday life,” Kenkel says.

Cox has more experience modeling for the ISU fashion show. She was a model for two years before she became involved in the production of the show.

“I had a lot of fun modeling in the show, and this year the producers asked me to help with the model tryouts and rehearsals,” she says.

Cox says the number of models this year is higher than any year she can remember.

“We had so many people try out for the show, it was crazy,” she says.

Landa has set high expectations for the show.

“We want to set the standards high for future shows and make it one of the most prominent events for the textiles and clothing program and the ISU community,” he says.

What: “Spektrum,” the 23rd annual fashion show

Where: Stephens Auditorium

When: 6:30 p.m. Saturday

Cost: $15 students, $20 public