Handing over the keys

Dan Slatterly

The Great Hall of the Memorial Union was alive with nearly 80 people representing the past and future of the Government of the Student Body on Monday.

Sophia Magill, outgoing GSB president, gave her farewell address, stressing the potential that exists within each individual serving on GSB.

She thanked William Rock, her vice president.

“Originally, we were kind of an unlikely pair together,” Magill said.

After a trip to Texas, she said she and Rock started working better together. She poked fun at Rock’s willingness to get out of the GSB office.

“William was cleaning out his desk a week ago,” she said.

Magill went on to praise ISU students and said she is proud to say she attends Iowa State.

“I believe in the student body because we all have goals and dreams,” she said.

She then introduced the new GSB president, Angela Groh, by giving her the keys to the GSB presidential office. She had a larger-than-average Cyclone keychain connected to the keys and said it was so Groh would not lose the keys, although Magill admitted she had lost them a couple times.

Groh said action, communication, collaboration and integrity would mark her presidency.

“I want everyone to know that I don’t have all the answers,” Groh said.

She said she will have an open-door policy and wants students to voice their opinions to her.

The inauguration’s most animated moment came when Ryan Doll, GSB Towers Residence Association senator, was named senator of the year.

The award was given for his work in bringing Iowa State and the Ames community closer together.

Doll accepted the award while the mostly GSB-affiliated crowd showed its appreciation with a standing ovation.

“I am honored that [the senate] would think that of me,” Doll said. “This year’s senate deserves a standing ovation more than I do.”

Dan Becker, outgoing GSB treasurer, and Stephanie Stall, director of facilities, safety and transportation, were honored as the cabinet members of the year.

Ehren Whigham, incoming GSB Richardson Court Association senator, said he decided to run for GSB senate because he knew nothing about GSB and thought he could share things he learns with others.

“I am excited that there is a lot of new blood on senate,” Whigam said. “It brings a fresh perspective.”

Kyle Krause, outgoing GSB Frederiksen Court senator, said he was pleased with the work the senate accomplished in the past year. He said the best thing he did on the senate was help move funds from the capital projects fund into an interest account. He said this interest account will make $3,000 a year for GSB.

Incoming GSB senators need to get involved, Krause said.

“Always look for ways to help students, there are abundant opportunities if you look for them,” he said.