Groups honor Earth Day with fair providing information to students

Ina Kadic

Armed with informational displays and brochures on volunteer opportunities, several ISU organizations assembled on Central Campus on Friday as students roamed the tables set up by the groups in honor of Earth Day.

Camomilia Bright, treasurer of the ISU Campus Greens, organized the fair and said she was looking forward to having the groups interact with students and provide helpful information.

Clubs like the Student Organic Farm offered many ways for students to get involved.

“Students can rent [planting] plots for $25, then donate 10 hours of their time to volunteer at the farm, and then they get $15 back,” said Sarah Carlson, vice president of the group.

“They can plant whatever they want, as long as they don’t use GMOs [genetically modified organisms], and everything they grow is theirs to keep.”

The Student Organic Farm, located about a half-mile off campus on Mortensen Road, has 22 full plots, and its members say they are looking forward to working with more students in the future.

Several other ISU groups came to the fair hoping to engage students in the many ways to help save the environment.

The Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation is a non-profit land trust that has protected more than 50,000 acres of land in Iowa.

The organization came to the Earth Day fair for students to become familiar with what it offers, said Ryan Marquardt, intern for the foundation.

“Our membership is weak with younger members,” Marquardt said. “We are here trying to give students information and let them know we offer internships.”

Gloria Erickson, adviser to the Student Environmental Council, helped show off displays of the ISU Recycling Committee.

The displays showed where Ames community members can recycle cardboard, newspaper and white paper. The group also collected old cell phones and phonebooks.

“Improvements [in Ames’ recycling system] can always be made,” Erickson said. “We just want to make sure students know how they can help.”

The fair showed that recycling, however, is not the only approach to saving the environment.

The Microbiology Club presented information about preserving the Earth and its habitats. It showed that many whales die from things thrown into the ocean, like plastic, said club member Heather Noneman.

Club members at the fair said students walking by were interested, and many signed up, wanting to get involved.

Kristi Schipull, president of the ISU chapter of Engineers for a Sustainable World, said she has received a very good response from students.

“It’s good to see the different organizations out and people taking notice,” she said.