IRHA suspends debate on budget after 6-hour meeting

Andrew Killinger

Updated at 2:21 a.m. CDT April 8

In a meeting lasting more than six hours, the Inter-Residence Hall Association debated final changes to the group’s bylaws and a proposed budget for the 2005-2006 session Thursday and into Friday.

“I think this budget does a good job of balancing our desires to minimize dues and maintain a high level of services to our constituents,” said Drew Larson, IRHA president. “We have decreased funding for stipends, and also made sure funds were available for popular programs like Free Friday Flicks, the Newspaper Readership Program, and Res Hall Week.”

The proposed budget was designed to continue the organization’s collaboration with the Department of Residence and “improve residence life,” he said.

A key issue during the budget debate regarded the funding of a stipend for the chairman of Free Friday Flicks, an IRHA program that offers free movies on Friday evenings.

Free Friday Flicks president Jeff Rudisill said he was offended by the idea of cutting his pay and said he treated the position as a job and not a volunteer student government position.

“Why don’t I go join Jon Lewis for $7.25 an hour and go scoop sausages on your plate?” he said.

The proposed changes to Free Friday Flicks funding were later withdrawn.

At 1 a.m. Friday, Dale recommended proposed budget be sent to the finance committee to be reviewed before IRHA voted on approving it. He said he thought debate would end up lasting until 4 a.m.

“I know it’s going to our new parliament, but shit happens,’ Dale said, expressing concern for the length of the debate.

IRHA agreed to postpone debate until the finance committee reviews the budget, and it never voted on approving it at the meeting.

The parliament also debated a final bylaw amendment, one detailing the impeachment process. This bill was tabled at the last meeting because of time constraints.

The changes cleaned up language used to add additional clarity to that section changed in the bylaws, said Keith Wilbur, IRHA representative for the Union Drive Association.

During the report of the IRHA Director of Special Events Jared Wilson, the parliament discussed plans for ResHall Week.

ResHall Week, beginning April 16, is a weeklong celebration of residence hall living.

TRA President Michael Dale presented concerns with the amount of preparation that was still needed to carryout the events of ResHall Week. A major concern was the amount of time still needed to order T-shirts for the event.

By Thursday, shirts had not been ordered for the event.

“You need help,” Dale said, presenting concerns to Wilson.

Dale encouraged parliament members to help with the planning and preparation process in order to make it a “successful event.”

Ross Kelderman, IRHA election commissioner, announced the results of the elections held across campus Wednesday.

The winner of the IRHA presidential race was Nathan Taucher, sophomore in computer engineering. He and his vice-presidential candidate, Phil De Koster, Barton-Lyon-Freeman-Fisher/Nickel president, will be seated along with the newly elected representatives at the group’s next meeting. The presidential slate won unopposed.

“The goal of this year’s election commission was to increase voter turnout in comparison with last year, despite a drop in enrollment and closing of halls we are excited that turnout was almost doubled,” Kelderman said.

The turnout for the election was nearly double of what it was last year. In the election held Wednesday, 630 of the total 5,024 residents voted. The voter turnout was nearly double last year’s.

“I was extremely pleased to hear about our turnout for this year’s election,” said Drew Larson, outgoing IRHA president. “We nearly doubled the number of voters, and most seats were contested. I think it says something about how much more engaged and relevant IRHA is to students this year.”

The hall with the highest percentile turnout was Friley Hall. Of the hall’s 1,037 residents, more than 30 percent voted in the hall’s presidential election. This election was perhaps the most contested race as well, Kelderman said.

Kelly Leaman, sophomore in graphic design, won the election for Friley president with nearly 61 percent of the vote, and Mayarih Sharif, freshman in accounting, won the seat for Friley vice president with 46 percent. Two candidates were on the ballot for president, and three were on the ballot for vice president.

“The parliament next year will be a new group with only one returning, so it will be important we work with them to get their feet wet so they can lead effectively next year,” Kelderman said.