College of Agriculture attracts mix of students

Alison Sickelka

A good job market and a changing image for agriculture are helping students from urban backgrounds find their way to Iowa State’s agriculture college.

“There are a lot of students in the College of Agriculture who aren’t from a farming background,” said Levon Esters, assistant professor of agricultural education and studies.

James Donahey, freshman in forestry, is one such student. Donahey said he moved around a lot when he was younger, but has always lived in urban areas. Donahey said his decision to enter agriculture had less to do with the job market and more to do with his interests.

“I like backpacking and I love trees,” he said.

Mike Gaul, director of career placement for agriculture career services, said the college is working to change its image to attract students from non-traditional agriculture backgrounds. He said they are fighting the “cows, sows and plows syndrome.”

“We try and showcase the diverse array of majors under the umbrella of agriculture,” he said.

Majors like dietetics and food sciences are not always thought of as part of the College of Agriculture, he said.

“There really are a lot of other majors out there,” he said.

Donahey said he thinks of agriculture when he thinks of forestry.

“You’re basically managing a crop for a product,” he said.

He said he thinks there is a stereotype in agriculture of mostly rural kids. He was surprised, however, when he saw two students from his high school in one of his classes related to his major.

“That was kind of strange,” he said.

One problem facing the college is the traditional base of students for the College of Agriculture is drying up, Gaul said.

“The number of students coming into agriculture is not growing in leaps and bounds,” he said.

Esters said because of new problems, such as bioterrorism, and a push for global agriculture, the demand for agriculture majors is growing.

“From a job perspective, things are really strong,” Gaul said. “[Agriculture] relates to so many essentials in our life.”

With depleting numbers of rural students and an increased demand for agriculture careers, the college needs to look for students with non-traditional backgrounds, Esters said.

“You need to tap into a new resource of individuals,” he said.

To do that, Esters said teachers need to figure out a way to gain a student’s interest.

“The key is to make a connection,” he said.

Esters said teachers need to show students how different areas, like business, science and economics, can relate to agriculture and then show them what they can do with a major in the field.

Programs at the high school level are helping with recruitment. Esters said his department has 22 student teachers in high schools around Iowa who help promote agriculture programs.

“Agriculture is slowly but surely catching on at the high school level,” Gaul said.