Students share opinions on community

Jared Taylor

Some students discovered a free lunch can exist, as long as they are willing to share their opinion with the Government of Student Body.

Undergraduate students responded to an online survey conducted by GSB in exchange for free food vouchers good at Legends American Grill, 200 Stanton Ave.

Tony Borich, GSB design college senator, said 443 out of a sample of 2,500 undergraduate students responded to the survey. He said GSB collaborated with the sociology department to write the survey questions. Borich said with the low response rate, the survey results could be subject to “significant sampling error.”

More than 64 percent of students who responded said they are not very active or not at all active in non-university local community activities and events, and two-thirds of respondents said they know fewer than 10, or no, permanent Ames residents by name.

“If you cannot name more than 10 adults in Ames, it means you are not interacting with the permanent population,” Borich said.

Ames Police Chief Loras Jaeger said he believes there could be a gap between the interests of students and permanent Ames residents.

“If students are saying there is a disconnect, the issue needs to be addressed,” Jaeger said.

Pete Englin, dean of students, however, said he does not believe there is a divide between students and Ames residents.

“I don’t think there is a divide, there is an acknowledgment that different things are wanted in Ames,” Englin said.

Borich said the majority of respondents — 64 percent — said they favor allowing 19- and 20-year-olds in bars; about two-thirds of respondents said the current Ames bar ordinance does not affect the ease of underage access to alcohol.

Jaeger said Ames needs more regulated venues where students can socialize. “There’s not a lot of general entertainment venues in Ames like there are in the Des Moines metro area,” Jaeger said.

Nearly 58 percent of poll respondents are against any ordinance that would require keg registration in Story County.

“My personal opinion about the keg ordinance is that it will have unintended consequences,” Borich said.

More than 90 percent of respondents believed the popularity of hard liquor will increase should kegs no longer be sold in Story County.

Among respondents under age 21, 55 percent said they would be more likely to attend bars with discouragement against underage alcohol consumption, while 26.5 percent said they would be unlikely to attend.

Englin said lowering the bar age to 19 would not eliminate unregulated drinking. “I think off-campus parties would still exist to a large extent,” he said.

Jaeger said most police intervention with off-campus parties is a result of complaints by neighbors, including other students.

“Some people are working through school and are trying to study or sleep,” Jaeger said. “It’s a constant balancing act with us.”

He said police officers generally help clear out parties and do not issue citations in most instances.