Suit against hockey club to be heard on Tuesday

Dan Slatterly

The Government of the Student Body Supreme Court is scheduled to hear a case Tuesday involving a former ISU Men’s Ice Hockey Club staff member’s claim that she did not receive deserved back pay.

Jessica O’Brien, junior in graphic design, was a graphic design intern and also helped with payroll and administrative duties during the fall semester and part of this semester. She is suing the club for compensation for when she, along with all other hourly employees, was let go by the hockey club because of financial difficulties, said Louis Kishkunas, O’Brien’s representative.

“They didn’t have the money at the beginning of the year,” Kishkunas said. “They could pay her at the end of the year.”

Kishkunas said O’Brien had a verbal agreement with the hockey club to be paid in a lump sum at the end of the year, instead of by an hourly wage.

O’Brien chose to take the set amount of money for a set amount of time, Kishkunas said. He said the other option was discouraged by the hockey club because of the lack of funds to pay her. By choosing the set amount of money for a set amount of hours, O’Brien could do more work at the beginning of the semester and not put the hockey club into a fiscal bind.

Kishkunas said the hockey club has not fulfilled its written responsibilities and is responsible for back pay. He said he feels O’Brien has enough backing to prove the agreement was not met by the hockey club.

“[The hockey club] has really lousy business practices,” Kishkunas said. “They keep getting bailed out by the university.”

The hockey club was indefinitely suspended April 22, 2004 after the All-University Judiciary Committee found the club responsible for misappropriating ISU trademarks. The club was reinstated two months later.

A representative for the ISU Men’s Ice Hockey Club could not be reached for comment Monday.

Scott Hagen, ISU Men’s Ice Hockey Club president, said in a previous Daily article that O’Brien forged hours on her time sheet and did not actually do any work for the hockey club except for a program she did not finish.

Kishkunas said O’Brien never got the chance to finish the program.

Hagen said he does not believe O’Brien put in as many hours as she said she did before she was let go.

Jon Sievers, chief justice of the GSB Supreme Court, said after the trial, the court has three days to get together and reach a decision.

The GSB Supreme Court has nine justices and operates similarly to the U.S. Supreme Court.

“I received a request from the plaintiff to have a closed trial,” Sievers said.

The GSB bylaws stipulate that a closed trial can be held if the plaintiff is not a student organization and the case is of a personal nature.

Kishkunas said O’Brien wanted a closed trial because this case is about a wage dispute.

“We don’t want to make a big spectacle out of it,” he said.

Sievers said the court’s opinion may not be released to the public until April 22.

The Government of the Student Body Supreme Court is scheduled to hear the case at 8 p.m. Tuesday in the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union.