Magill leaves ‘with no regrets’

Fred Love

She came in enthusiastic and optimistic and that is the way she will leave — wanting to leave a legacy of progress, communication and cooperation.

Government of the Student Body President Sophia Magill delivered her State of the Student Body address Wednesday night — her final speech in front of the GSB senate before the end of her term.

Magill spent most of her address highlighting the progress made by the Government of the Student Body during her presidency.

“We, as the Government of the Student Body, have much to be proud of,” she said, ticking off a litany of accomplishments, including lobbying the state legislature, working to ensure stable tuition prices and working with student panels to resolve the Veishea controversy.

“We as students do make a difference,” she said. “Our time of service is valuable.”

She also stressed her administration’s efforts to interact with the community of Ames.

“This idea of ‘one community’ can only be advanced through a strong commitment to creating positive change,” she said. “I feel that there is a great opportunity that currently exists right now in our community and that is a willingness by many players to commit themselves and their organizations to change in order to improve our current state.”

Magill concluded her address by encouraging her fellow GSB members to continue using the experience they gained through their service.

“Now, as we begin our future endeavors, may we recognize this opportunity to practice wisdom through strong service and striving for success,” she said.

Incoming GSB President Angela Groh praised much of Magill’s work in office and said she hopes to build on the work of her predecessor.

“Sophia did a great job of raising student awareness of GSB,” Groh said. “She also improved communication between GSB and other bodies within the university and the community.”

Groh criticized Magill’s term on other fronts.

“This year was characterized by a lot of deliberation, not so much action,” she said. “That’s something we’ll change.”

Groh said she plans to look for more innovation when initiating ideas from students, saying she wasn’t a “fan of the status quo.”

After her speech, Magill reflected on her term as president of the student body.

“My main mission was to work with students, and I feel like I’ve done that,” she said. “You can never get everything accomplished, but I’m not leaving with any regrets.”

She said she particularly enjoyed working with ISU students.

“I love serving students, and I feel so privileged for this opportunity,” she said.