Renovations proposed for MU student offices

Jared Taylor

Major renovations that could leave some groups without office space may soon sweep through the basement of the Memorial Union.

Yet, few groups are voicing concern about the lack of individual space that would be available for student organizations following renovations.

Shawn Eagleburger, senior in interior design, designed the proposed renovation for the student office space, which would create more conference areas by eliminating some desk and cubicle space.

“We want to make the quality of space better,” Eagleburger said. “It really gets what we need for students into these spaces.”

Student Services would not be removed as a result of the proposed renovation, which was a concern of students who use the office space.

Some desks and cubicles occupied by student groups would be removed and replaced with storage cabinets and conference areas to create more space for group interaction, Eagleburger said.

Space is also planned to be set aside in the remodeled Student Office Space for faculty advisers who regularly work with student groups, giving them a more central location, as they are dispersed throughout various areas of the Memorial Union now.

According to renovation plans, there will be no overall area removed from the student office space.

Concerns about proposed renovations were addressed by project organizers during informational feedback sessions Friday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“We want to make sure there are not too many cubicles so we can keep the space open,” Eagleburger said.

Angela Groh, Government of the Student Body president-elect, said she believed the renovation will be beneficial, as most of the desk in the office space are not being used properly by student groups.

“There are a lot of desks not being utilized, but a lot are used for storage,” she said. “We can come together and find ways to serve everyone.”

ISU Dance Marathon Co-Director Cory Hanson also said the proposed changes will benefit student organizations.

“Originally, there was a lot of [people] scared about it,” Hanson said. “After the meeting, people are now looking at it as an opportunity to work together.”

Eagleburger said the primary focus for changing the student office space will be to encourage a culture that promotes interaction among the organizations that use it regularly. He said the proposed renovation will create a “one-stop shop” for students seeking information about student activities, leadership and service opportunities, student group funding, accounting resources and other needs.

“The challenge we have to understand is we want to best utilize the space,” Eagleburger said.

Richard Reynolds, director of the Memorial Union, said the renovation, if approved by the Student Union Board, is scheduled to begin after April 15. The renovated office space should be completed and available to student organizations by the fall, Reynolds said.

Funds for the proposed renovation have been allocated under the regular maintenance budget for the Memorial Union, Reynolds said.