Troubling forecast

Ashley Garbin

Spring has arrived, and students are clamoring to get outside and enjoy the sunshine and warm weather.

Many students find themselves feeling happier and more excited now that the weather has changed from the cold winter temperatures to warmer April days.

“I like spring because that’s when all the skirts come out,” says Ryan Hansen, sophomore in business-undeclared.

Marty Martinez, staff psychologist at the Student Counseling Center, says he understands why students may feel this way.

He says changes in the weather can have effects on people’s emotions.

“Sunlight has a significant impact on brain chemicals,” he says. “The warmth alone leaves people feeling more radiant and visceral, and it gives people more energy. The sun also has components of vitamins, which helps people’s health, hair and skin.”

Although Iowa’s springtime is enjoyable, some people have difficulties waiting for it to arrive.

“It’s harder to go to class in the winter — the weather makes me not even want to go outside,” Hansen says.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression that occurs in people each year, usually starting in fall or winter and ending in the spring. People who suffer from SAD experience many of the same symptoms as depression, but find their mental state improves once the weather begins to get nicer.

“People commonly associate the spring with more light and activity; students become excited thinking about all the things they can do when it’s nice out,” Martinez says. “The absence of the sun, even when it’s just raining, makes people feel more restricted in their choices. Sunlight lets people feel more in control.”

SAD is considered a legitimate diagnosis recognized by psychiatrists. It is only within the past few decades, however, that SAD has received more acknowledgment.

“There are many ways to deal with moods affected by weather,” Martinez says. “First, understand that you can be triggered by the weather, and then combat through this. Even if the sun isn’t shining and it’s raining outside, still go for that run.”

But when the sun has gone down, Martinez says, that alone may be enough to affect people.

“Many people feel more ‘dark’ at night; reflect on this and think about all the good things in life,” he says. “Don’t let your internal emotions get things down.”

Although it can be dangerous, things like tanning can have a positive effect on brain chemicals related to happiness.

“A person’s mental state can be impacted by warmth and the sun,” Martinez says. “Tanning, even under a heat lamp, can be good by helping to produce more seratonin and endorphins.”

Along with spring comes daylight-saving time, and Martinez says even small changes in light can have an impact on people.

“This week, I know many people have had trouble with daylight-saving time,” he says. “Even something so small, such as an hour time difference, can really make someone feel like they are tired and dragging. It’s not as light when people wake up, and it takes longer to get dark.”

Although the warm weather has many benefits, there are a few negatives that come with it. Craig Anderson, professor and chairman of psychology, is a specialist concerning weather affecting violent crimes.

“Simply put, people get irritated in hot weather,” Anderson says. “They cannot control the situation of being uncomfortably hot, and they tend to take it out on other things.”

It has been scientifically proven, he says, that violent crimes increase as the temperature increases.

Anderson has done lab studies at Iowa State concerning how temperature affects people — not all about violent reactions.

“Typically, women prefer slightly warmer temperatures than men,” he says. “Their comfort scale is typically a degree or two higher than that of a man’s.”

One ISU woman said she is enjoying the warm weather.

“I just love spring,” says Linsey Langkamp, junior in management. “It makes me really giddy — I just want to be outside.”