Dean candidate: College traditions need preservation

Kari Hoefer

The second of four candidates in the search for a dean of the new College of Human Sciences spoke Thursday about land grant universities’ commitment to the access and impact of educational opportunities.

Marlene Strathe, provost and senior vice president of academic affairs for Oklahoma State University at Stillwater, said continuing old traditions from both the College of Education and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences while making new ones is important to her. She said one way to do this is to include alumni in the process.

“The issues do not lie ahead, opportunities do,” Strathe said. “The College of Human Sciences will serve as a model for access and impact for land grant universities.”

Many faculty asked questions concerning management style, campus climate, the mission of higher education and the use of college ranking programs.

“Effective education must be focused on outcomes,” Strathe said. “High-quality education leads to more than a career.”

Ann Marie Fiore, associate professor of textiles and clothing, asked Strathe about shared governance, or the role of faculty, staff and students in decision-making within the college. Strathe said she realizes the value of dialogue and debate, but recognizes that a consensus cannot always be reached.

Strathe also said she sees distance education as a phenomena that will only increase, and said online programs are sometimes the best match for students’ learning and lifestyle. She stressed incentives and recognition of faculty for any extra programming they provide and said in order for faculty to start distance education programs they will need a lot of support.

Aaron Holm, senior in health and human performance, said Strathe did not mention any changes she would make.

“I would have liked to have heard more on student involvement,” he said.

Holm said because of the lack of student attendance at the open forum, more faculty issues were covered. Holm said he believes dean selection is something students need to know about, and more postings would have helped bring more students to the forum. He said he thinks instructors should help students understand the process of selecting a dean.

“We don’t know what that means to us,” Holm said.

Strathe’s diversity forum is scheduled for 10 a.m. Friday in 302 Catt Hall.

The names of the two final dean candidates were released Thursday: Jeffrey McCubbin, associate dean for graduate studies and research in the College of Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University; and Cheryl Achterberg, founding dean of the Schreyer Honors College at The Pennsylvania State University at University Park.

McCubbin is scheduled to interview on campus Tuesday and Wednesday, and Achterberg’s interviews are planned for Thursday and Friday of next week.