Fighting back

Teresa Krug

Students sought to raise awareness about ignorance through a rally Wednesday to end discrimination, sexism, genderism and other “isms” existing at Iowa State.

“Don’t take it as a T-shirt fad; don’t take it as a button fad, because that’s not what this is,” said Karla Hardy, senior in sociology and Daily columnist.

Hardy developed the got ignorance? campaign in 2002 with Sarai Arnold, senior in speech communication.

Speakers included Dean of Students Pete Englin, Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill, former Government of the Student Body president Sophia Magill, and GSB President Angela Groh and Vice President Chris Deal, who were there to share their insights and extend support to the campaign. The rally, which was held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., attracted a constant crowd that fluctuated between 60 and 90 people.

Rohini Ramnath, co-director for the rally, said that the goal of the program is to make people more aware of their own prejudices and biases.

Ramnath, who is Indian-American and junior in political science, said when she enters any group setting, many people see her as adding diversity. She said everyone adds diversity, though, because no person is the same as the next.

“You can be diverse no matter where you are,” Ramnath said.

Most speakers shared their personal experiences in dealing with ignorance, and many said they still struggle with it.

“It’s scary to be yourself sometimes in this society,” said Justin Hope, sophomore in early childhood education, who spoke about the ignorance displayed toward the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. “People are silent in our society for fear of being themselves.”

Ashley Lerch, president of the Alliance for Disability Awareness, shared the difficulties she faces being in a wheelchair.

Despite the stares she receives and the way some people talk to her, she said she is lucky because her disability is visible.

Lerch said people with other disabilities, like attention deficit disorder, often have a more difficult time because fewer people understand their situation.

Amanda Berenguel, senior in child, adult and family services, spoke about coming home one day her freshman year to find swastika symbols on her door.

“It was heartbreaking and scary,” Berenguel said.

She said nobody did anything about it, which made it even more difficult for her.

A display of statements about actions of sexism, racism and other “-isms” that have happened on campus is planned to be in front of the library until Friday.