SUB dares students to endure bad film

Katie Piepel

True horror is back!

Creepy clowns, necrophiliacs, cannibals and mutated mechanical bodies — can you sit through all the terrors of Rob Zombie’s 2003 horror flick, “House of 1000 Corpses?”

SUB Films generally likes to sponsor movies it feels students will appreciate and enjoy, not struggle to sit through. At 8 p.m. Wednesday, however, the challenge is just that.

“House of 1000 Corpses” is the film of choice for SUB Films’ Bad Movie Night Challenge. If students are able to sit through the whole movie and answer trivia at the end, they may be able to snatch a prize or two.

Michael Larson, SUB Films director and senior in electrical engineering, says that in the past, Bad Movie Night Challenge included three movies. Students used to have to pay to see SUB movies — but for Bad Movie Night, it would be a free entrance. The kicker, he says, was that if they left early, they would have to pay.

This year, however, the challenge will be a little easier, with only one film being shown. If students make it through the film, they will be given the opportunity to answer “House of 1000 Corpses” trivia questions. Prizes will be awarded to the challenge winners.

Larson says “House of 1000 Corpses” was chosen because “it’s a cliche clown-horror flick,” and for the fact that it is a Rob Zombie film.

Other SUB Films events for the month include Movie on the Terrace, which will be a double feature with “Meet the Parents” and “Meet the Fockers.” The event is free, and prizes will be given out.

“Napoleon Dynamite” will also be shown during Dead Week. Following the show will be a look-alike and dance competition. Don’t expect popcorn, though — tater tots will be served.