Magill vetoes bylaw change by not acting on GSB bill

Dan Slatterly and Tom Bartons

The Government of the Student Body senate’s curriculum and pre-professional bylaws change for funding of student groups was not signed by former GSB president Sophia Magill, halting its implementation.

Magill failed to sign the bylaws before GSB turned over for the next year after inauguration Monday night, pocket-vetoing the bill passed by the senate last Wednesday.

The legislation will have to be re-introduced next legislative session, which begins Wednesday.

She said she did not sign this legislation because she had received e-mails and phone calls from many members of the ISU community stressing concerns about the bylaws change, which she said is more suitable for a new senate.

Many GSB senators have become frustrated with the unsigned legislation, because the GSB senate passed the bill with a 23-0-2 vote.

“It’s hard when a president vetoes something the whole senate decides is a good idea and which the Finance Committee also supported. Now they’re back to square one,” said Jacob Larson, former GSB off-campus government senator.

He said students were misinformed in an e-mail sent by Jason Stanek, GSB graduate senator, that gave a distorted image of the effect the bylaw changes could have on student groups.

Although Larson said the entire senate supported the bill, Stanek said he had issues with its language — stating the veto was a win for students.

“It gives the senate a second chance to clarify the bylaws,” he said.

“The intent of the bylaws change was supposed to clarify basically the bylaws of which organizations should and shouldn’t be funded. Instead of clarifying, it generalized the criteria which made any student organization a target for budget cuts.”

Larson said he agreed.

“It said no student groups would be funded because of how overly broad the new bylaws could be interpreted, which is what we could do with bylaws we currently have,” he said.

Larson said the amendment would actually have made it easier for groups to understand what GSB would scrutinize to see whether groups are pre-professional or curriculum-based.

“I don’t know if we will ever have perfect pre-professional bylaws,” he said.

“There will always be some ambiguity, but it’s a step in the right direction — it’s an improvement.”

Larson said although it is argued that the altered bylaws could be interpreted broadly, the bylaws GSB has now are no better.

“You could zero-fund half the groups out there,” he said.