Last chance for student views at forum

Ina Kadic

Students and Ames residents will have their last chance to voice their concerns about a proposed keg ordinance before the Story County Board of Supervisors votes on the measure.

The Story County Board of Supervisors is scheduled to meet in a forum at 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union to give city officials, ISU students and Ames residents a chance to voice their concerns and debate the issue.

The proposed ordinance would require keg purchasers to give their name, address and individual keg identification number to the seller who will record the information in a log.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said he noticed from Tuesday’s City Council meeting that several community members have concerns with the issue.

“First of all, I truly believe that for this type of ordinance to be effective, it needs to be a state law,” Tedesco said. “County lines can easily be crossed.”

Tedesco said there is an issue throughout the state with alcohol being made available to minors, and this is done through kegs. He said this legislation differs from others created to reduce underage drinking.

“This legislation is directed at people who might be purchasing kegs and making them available for those who are underage, and that is illegal,” Tedesco said.

Jane Halliburton, Story County supervisor, said she agrees with Tedesco, but said it is important Story County does not wait for the entire state to adopt the legislation.

“Clarity and consistency across the state is important, but local governments can lead,” Halliburton said.

She said other counties have already adopted this ordinance and more are becoming interested.

“Polk, Boone and Marion counties are all wanting copies of the ordinance for them to consider,” Halliburton said.

Some students believe the legislation will be a good way to stop people from serving alcohol to minors.

“I think it will definitely be an effective way to lower cases of underage drinking,” said Erin Dawson, junior in exercise and sport science. “It is better than the system we have now because they don’t know where the kegs are going.”

Dawson said there is no loss in passing the legislation.

She said there will always be loopholes in legislation and even though some students, for example, might go out of their way to drive to Boone County, it is an attempt to stopping underage drinking in Ames.

“I hope there is a fair exchange of ideas and communication [at the meeting] between citizens of Ames, young Ames residents and the Board of Supervisors,” Tedesco said.

He said the ordinance would apply to cities within Story County; the city of Ames would be enforcing the regulations, and added costs for the enforcement would come from taxpayer money.