GSB to make statement, address grievances to City Council

Dan Slatterly and Erin Mccuskeys

A resolution including a formal statement to address grievances to the Ames City Council will be introduced Wednesday at the Government of the Student Body meeting.

The resolution confronts the reaction of the City Council after a petition signed by 731 short-term residents was brought to the city on Feb. 22.

The resolution states: “The conduct and attitude displayed by the elected leaders of Ames at that meeting was offensive to citizens of Ames represented by this body.”

The attached treatise outlines the reaction of Council members, including Mayor Ted Tedesco. In the treatise, Tedesco is singled out as trying to “outright refuse the right of the short-term residents of Ames to petition their government and even attempted to institute a tax on these petitioners in exchange for this right.”

Tedesco, who was read parts of the letter, said he did not try to impose a tax.

“I simply made an inquiry,” he said. According to Daily staff reports, Tedesco asked Feb. 16 whether GSB should or would pay for the special election because the petition was signed by many students.

Ultimately, the Council decided to pay for the special election, Tedesco said. He asked the question on behalf of the citizens of Ames who will ultimately pay for the special election, he said.

The letter also outlined different instances in which the city has implemented punitive laws that primarily affect short-term residents of Ames without gathering sufficient student input.

The petition for the special election was created as an attempt to better represent students for such issues, said Jacob Larson, off-campus senator.

The letter, which was a combined effort of five to 10 senators, addresses the way in which the City Council handled the petition, Larson said.

“The letter is a statement to the City Council that says, ‘Treat us with a little more respect and be a little more open to our ideas and involvement as a step toward the one-community idea,'” Larson said.

Larson said at the last Council meeting, students were willing to have a discussion, but the Council, with the exception of Councilman Matthew Goodman, was largely closed to the issue.

“Our problems with the city and the student body and our inability to work together has kind of come to a head right now, and is a little upsetting,” Larson said. “I am more than willing to listen and have a debate about it, but it seems that they don’t want to hear anything about it.”

Henry Alliger, GSB speaker of the senate, said although he is supportive of the letter, he would like it to be more positive.

The senate will also discuss and vote on funding the Battle of the Bands. The meeting is set for 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.