Halfway home

Eric Lund

The drive to reopen the Black Cultural Center in Campustown continued Wednesday with a march from campus to where the center stands on Welch Avenue.

Thirty-five members of the Black Cultural Center task force, along with other students and both GSB presidential slates, marched to increase awareness of its campaign to raise $40,000 for necessary repairs to the center. Marchers chanted slogans and held signs saying things like “Save the BCC” and “Construction before Destruction.”

The center, 517 Welch Ave., was closed in 2003 because of a burst water main.

Before it closed, the center was used to foster understanding of black culture and diversity through education, said Jonnell Marion, head chairman of the Black Cultural Center task force and sophomore in marketing.

Venise McCown, task force member and junior in psychology, said 57 pledges for donations had been collected as of Wednesday, not counting those collected before and during the march. The total amount collected through student pledges so far is $1,565.

Cash and check donations are collected at events and in a box in front of the Multicultural Student Affairs office, McCown said. The task force needs to collect at least 1,000 donations. About half of the $40,000 has been collected so far through student donations and other fund-raising efforts, she said.

Ashley Holloway, Black Cultural Center representative for the Black Student Alliance and senior in community and regional planning, said the task force will continue to hold more events and outdoor rallies to increase its visibility and collect donations. Affiliates of the task force are also asking alumni and businesses in Ames and Des Moines to make donations.

Henry Lewis, senior in liberal studies, said raising awareness of diversity issues would benefit the entire ISU community.

“I believe the university has not only a great responsibility to participate, but it will bring about great benefit,” he said.

Leonard Perry, director of multicultural student affairs, said administrators are still discussing the university’s position in running the center.