Campustown students seek seats in GSB senate

Jared Taylor

A referendum proposing the creation of two new Government of the Student Body positions is on the ballot for Monday and Tuesday’s GSB election.

The new positions would represent students living in the Campustown community.

Caleb Shinn, GSB election commissioner, said there are 11 senatorial seats appointed to represent students who live off campus, but the seats do not guarantee direct Campustown representation.

“A lot of issues affect Campustown residents more than students living in the rest of Ames,” said Tony Borich, GSB College of Design senator.

Borich, who is also the vice president of the Campustown Student Association, said there is no GSB senator directly representing Campustown residents. If approved, the referendum would create two new senate seats that would permanently provide direct representation to students living in the area near campus.

With issues including the future of spring festivals and the impact of new housing developments in Campustown, Borich said the new senators would closely benefit students.

“Given the number of issues facing Campustown students, this measure will help Campustown student residents’ relations with GSB,” Borich said. “Campustown students will be guaranteed representation.”

The proposal has faced minimal opposition from other GSB senators, Borich said. He said all ISU students are eligible to vote on the referendum.

Borich said similar future referendums might be logical in other off-campus areas with large amounts of student residents, including southwest Ames.

Among the residents living in Campustown and university-impacted area, 90 to 95 percent are students, Shinn said. According to the Campustown Student Association, about 2,500 students live in the university-impacted area.

Bryan Keleher, senior in economics who lives in Campustown, said because of the high amount of activity in Campustown, he favors the proposal.

“Campustown seems to be where most of the conflict happens between students and permanent Ames residents,” he said. “Since so many students live in Campustown, the neighborhood needs its own representation.”