GSB to finalize allocations for campus clubs

Dan Slatterly

With only three meetings remaining in this legislative session, the Government of the Student Body is planning to approve funding for about 80 campus clubs and organizations at Wednesday’s GSB meeting.

The spring semester regular allocations process determines which clubs and organizations will get funding for the next fiscal year.

Eight groups are listed in the bill to receive no funding.

Kristi Kramer, GSB finance director, said the Finance Committee aspect of the allocations process was finalized the first week in March.

The Finance Committee met for 12 hours on three separate occasions to discuss the funding of the different groups.

Each group was allotted a time to present organization budgets to the Finance Committee, she said.

Kramer said the bill would be read again Wednesday, giving GSB senators the chance to hear certain groups speak.

Henry Alliger, GSB speaker of the senate, said the senators can choose to address specific clubs or organizations’ funding requests.

He said by dividing up the different groups, it makes them a separate piece of legislation.

The senate can then vote on funding for that group or send the group back through the Finance Committee.

The Finance Committee would then decide to either raise or lower funding and submit it for a future GSB meeting, Alliger said.

Alliger said that, in a typical year, six or seven groups are divided out for different reasons.

He said the senate usually divides out the GSB funding.

The ISU Entrepreneur Club will be divided out because in the past, GSB has funded it, and this year, it is listed as zero-funded, he said.

He said ethos magazine and Uhuru magazine will probably be divided out.

Alliger said it is important for the groups to be represented at the meeting in case the senate decides to discuss the funding in more detail.

He said the groups who have already spoken with senators about getting divided out are the only ones who are usually needed at the meeting.

All groups should be represented, however, in case the senate decides to divide them out.

The regular allocations process is just a part of the account allocations for the next fiscal year, which will be introduced to the senate Wednesday.

Sophia Magill, GSB president, said this is a large part of the function of GSB.

“This provides us with an opportunity to work with a lot of organizations and understand what they are doing,” she said.

In other business, the GSB senate will vote on a bill which, if passed, would allocate $500 from the discretionary account of the GSB senate to the city of Ames.

The money would help with the costs of special election satellite voting, something that is not a common cost with special elections.

The meeting is planned for 7 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.