Design students display art inspired by Rome

Amanda Haubrich

Design students went overseas last semester to create something wholly Italian and this week they will display their work in the College of Design Building.

An open house from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday in Gallery 181 of the design building will kick off the display.

The projects were created by 67 students majoring in graphic design, interior design and integrated studio arts while studying in Rome last semester.

Adrienne Lane, senior in interior design, said she was inspired to create several projects while in Rome.

“Going overseas and living there was a huge experience,” she said. “It’s different actually living in a place instead of just visiting. It’s really inspirational.”

Along with the art exhibit, there will be a presentation of the new design facilities in Rome at 7 p.m. and a panel discussion about the differences and similarities between a newly emerging European culture and the American culture at 7:30 p.m.

The displayed projects were created from experiences, activities or elements that are uniquely Italian. Students created a corporate identity for a fabricated Italian company that included paintings using colors found in Italy and making packaging for Italian food products.

“In Italy the students fabricate these projects to look like a real company,” said Arthur Croyle, associate professor of art and design. “It could be an art restoration company for frescos or ruins or fabricating buildings. Food is also huge in Italy. The whole theme of content would be Italian.”

He said students used existing models from corporations and researched how they would fit into the Italian culture.

“They had to do a lot of research on the subject and figure out what their company was about,” said Paula Curran, associate professor in art and design.

“From there, they created letterhead, business cards, envelopes and a graphic standards manual for how the logo should be used.”

Some of the companies students created were a car company named Houdini, an art restoration company called Rinnovare and fashion design companies.

The exhibition reflects work that incorporates the context and influences in which the students were immersed during the fall 2004 semester. Curran said this is the second of two shows featuring students’ projects from studying abroad in Rome. During the fall, students in the architecture program display their projects.

“I chose to do three projects on the same subject. I was fascinated by the doors over there — with their intricacy and beauty.” Lane said.

The pieces include a mixed media design with paint, chalk and oil pastels, and another is a glass mosaic.

“The projects are more oriented toward another culture and anyone who is entertaining the idea of going to Europe would benefit to see this,” Croyle said.

The exhibition, reception, presentation and discussion are free and open to the public.