Veishea returns

Eric Lund

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy has decided the Veishea celebration will continue in 2006.

At a press conference Wednesday morning, he said the annual spring celebration will continue with some modifications, including a review of the Veishea ban on alcohol.

“I have carefully considered the reports, recommendations and other input I have received concerning Veishea from many quarters,” Geoffroy said.

“I especially want to support and promote the ‘one community’ theme.”

He also said the Welch Avenue area is a “flash point” for incidents like riots, and some activities that have occurred there in the past will be moved to campus or canceled.

“We will create more alternative entertainment events and recreational activities for student engagement,” Geoffroy said.

Veishea will remain a student-focused event, but with increased involvement from the university and Ames community, he said.

Geoffroy also said the university would review the dry Veishea policy and consider abolishing it for next year’s celebration.

He said many believe the alcohol-free policy encouraged the growth of large off-campus parties. Although the decision to allow a wet Veishea has not been made, he said he is confident it will happen.

“We will consider conducting Veishea 2006 under the university’s normal alcohol policy,” Geoffroy said. “It is already a very restrictive policy.”

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco also said the city may consider allowing 19- and 20-year-olds to enter bars and nightclubs.

Geoffroy did offer a warning about how close he came to deciding against another Veishea.

“I want everyone to know that I very seriously considered discontinuing Veishea entirely, and moving the parade and open houses to Homecoming weekend in the fall,” he said.

“But, in the end, I decided that I am just not ready to give up on our students.”

Geoffroy said the entire community — students, administration and community members — is responsible for ensuring a successful Veishea.

ISU officials, he said, are holding a summit in fall 2006 on campus disturbances and will bring in experts on disturbance control. In addition, Iowa State is working with public safety officials on ways to stop nuisance parties, Geoffroy said.

He said the university will also conduct a campaign to educate students on Iowa laws related to riots and the consequences of illegal behavior.

Government of the Student Body President Sophia Magill and Tedesco both said they support Geoffroy’s decision.

Tedesco said Veishea is a celebration not only for Iowa State, but for Ames. The response to the 2004 riot is fundamentally different than the responses to past disturbances, he said.

“There was a very concerted effort to be inclusive of the entire community,” Tedesco said. “We got input that the task force before us may not have gotten.”

Tedesco said similar riots have occurred around the nation in the past.

“Let’s go forward very positively that ’06 is just gonna blow the lid off this nation,” he said. “The nation will be watching us.”

Although disturbances occurred in 1988, 1992 and 1994, this year’s cancellation marked the first since its inception in 1922.