Forum for proposed keg ordinance to discuss stricter regulations

Fred Love

Students wanting to give their opinions about an ordinance that would require stricter rules for keg purchases could soon have that opportunity.

The Story County Board of Supervisors has planned a forum from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. March 24 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union to listen to public debate.

Story County Attorney Stephen Holmes said the forum should bring together the Board of Supervisors, city officials, university representatives, students and community members to discuss the ordinance.

“It’s an opportunity for anyone who wishes to relay their concerns, or support, for the ordinance through me to have a discussion or if they have questions to ask,” Holmes said.

The ordinance, which was proposed as an effort to curb underage binge drinking, has created a stir among ISU students who feel the proposal would not achieve its intended goal.

Ryan Doll, Government of the Student Body senator for the Towers Residence Association, said he supports the intent of the ordinance but questions how well the proposal would stop underage drinking.

“When someone hosts a keg party, they’re already breaking several laws,” Doll said. “I don’t see how adding another law is going to solve any problems.”

Doll said he hopes students will attend the forum to help generate discussion.

“I’ve talked with the county Board of Supervisors, and we hope there will be a lot of constructive solutions suggested and discussed at the hearing,” he said.

Andrew Tugan, ex-officio student member of the Ames City Council, said he doubts the ordinance would greatly affect alcohol consumption at Iowa State.

“It might change the kind of alcohol people drink, but I wouldn’t expect it to change the amount of alcohol consumed,” Tugan said. “I haven’t seen a great deal of empirical evidence suggesting that this would accomplish its goal of reducing underage drinking.”

Polk County Attorney John Sarcone said Polk County officials are considering similar efforts to reduce underage drinking.

“We haven’t put anything together yet, but we’ll look at what Story County is doing and go from there,” Sarcone said.

He said Iowa lawmakers are considering alternatives to combat binge drinking, but if no state law is enacted, Polk County will pursue its own ordinance.

Sarcone supported the stricter keg regulations and said the ordinance would have a positive impact on underage alcohol consumption.

“Right now, it’s much easier to buy a keg as opposed to numerous cases of beer,” he said.

Enforcing tougher keg regulations, Sarcone said, would discourage drunken driving and underage consumption.

He acknowledged that a keg ordinance would not stop underage drinking completely, but he said any improvement is worth the effort.

“Maybe we can stop one kid from being killed,” he said.

Holmes said the information brought up in the meeting will be used in determining the next step in the ordinance.

He said if new information is presented that had not been considered, the ordinance could be reworked. The information will also help the board make its final decision.

“It could be that the Board of Supervisors could hear an argument that they hadn’t heard before, and they may wish to consider it, give me a different direction,” Holmes said.