Alliger vs. Groh

Dan Slatterly

Experience was the focus of the second Government of the Student Body executive debate Tuesday.

Henry Alliger, GSB speaker of the senate, said he and his running mate, Sarah Walter, GSB director of student diversity, offer Walter’s cabinet experience and Alliger’s senate experience, which would be beneficial to the two if they are elected president and vice president.

Walter said the senate will be young, with many of the senators having one year or less experience. She said her experience, combined with Alliger’s, would be influential in teaching the new senate the background information needed to serve GSB well.

Angela Groh, GSB presidential candidate and GSB director of government relations, said she has two years experience and, although this is not as much as Alliger, she has not yet developed the “tunnel vision” from being in GSB too long, which acts as a disconnect from regular students.

She said her running mate, Chris Deal, has only been a member of GSB since the beginning of the school year, which gives him a fresh perspective.

Deal, GSB director of academic affairs, said although he has only been officially on GSB for a couple of months, he has been attending meetings since last year and has a good understanding on how it works.

Teamwork was another issue discussed at the debate.

“I am more of an action, action, action person, and Henry is more of a planning person,” Walter said.

Walter said she is not afraid to disagree with Alliger, which makes them a good team because communication is easy.

Deal said he and Groh also have good communication and they have worked together and have known each other for an extended period of time.

Both candidates said it is important to not only talk to students and find out what they think is important, but also listen to the students.

At one point, Groh said, one of the platform items she and Deal were running on was to get constituency lists made so senators could have contact information for each and every student in their constituency.

Alliger used his one-minute rebuttal time to say he had taken the initiative and completed the constituency lists.

“I guess I saw it as a challenge,” he said.

Alliger said he had help from Dave Stout, GSB business senator, and Caleb Shinn, election commissioner.

Groh then thanked Alliger for doing that and said it was something she and Deal thought of and thought was important for students.

Judy Dolphin, executive director of the YWCA on campus and member of the League of Women Voters, was the moderator for the meeting.

“I take no preference in who you vote for,” she said. “As an outside person, you have four excellent candidates,” Dolphin said at the end the debate.

About 40 students attended the debate.