Debate evokes acrimony between GSB slates

Dan Slatterly

A Government of the Student Body debate unleashed animosity between the two executive slates.

ISUtv Channel 18 aired a live debate Sunday during its weekly show “Zero Degrees from Center.”

Henry Alliger, GSB speaker of the senate, and Angela Groh, GSB director of government relations, discussed issues relating to their platforms and students. Dawone Robinson, junior in journalism and mass communication, was the host of the show and moderator of the debate.

One of the main points of contention during the debate was reducing the number of Cabinet members.

Alliger said some members of the Cabinet are not fulfilling the requirements of the positions. Some Cabinet members work a lot and others hardly work at all, he said.

Groh said she is not in favor of cutting Cabinet positions like director of ISU Ambassadors, academic affairs and student affairs.

“The big problem with that is Cabinet members work extremely hard,” Groh said.

By reducing the Cabinet, other Cabinet members would take on additional responsibilities they may not have time for, she said.

Groh said Alliger supported creating positions in the past, like the ISU ambassadors position.

“I suggest you pay a little more attention to the Cabinet positions before you restructure it,” Groh said.

Alliger responded quickly.

“It is not written in the bylaws, so it’s something that can be modified,” he said.

Alliger and his running mate Sarah Walter, GSB director of student diversity, have outlined a plan to simplify the finance process.

GSB doles out $1.4 million annually, Alliger said, which is why it is important to set up an online tutorial to teach students about the process.

Groh and running mate Chris Deal, GSB director of academic affairs, have Pick-a-Prof on their campaign platform.

Walter said she and Alliger are concerned with the fact that a resolution has already been passed for Pick-a-Prof, nearly completing the platform item before the elections. Also, she said students were not asked for input. Groh said a study was done that showed students did have interest in the project.

Pick-a-Prof is an online site where students can access information about professors and grades given out in each class. Alliger said he supported Pick-a-Prof.