Difficulties with ballot caused no delay with GSB election

Dan Slatterly

After more than a month of campaigning, Government of the Student Body presidential candidates Henry Alliger and Angela Groh are now left to wait for election results.

Caleb Shinn, GSB election commissioner, said nearly 5,800 students voted in the election, up from about 5,000 last year. He said ballot challenges were still being tabulated and the official results will be announced Thursday.

The ballot challenges stemmed from problems with graduate student ballots, students with multiple majors and students who had changed residency or major, he said.

The online ballot was incorrect and forced graduate students to vote for the college of their concentration rather than for the graduate college; these students contested the ballot so they could vote for the graduate college.

Students with multiple majors could only vote for one college, Shinn said, and in order to vote for a college different than what appeared on the ballot, they needed to contest the vote.

Shinn said the other challenges were caused by not being able to access the ballot at all because of inconsistencies between constituency lists and the registrar’s list, or the ballot showing the wrong college or constituency area because of recent changes.

The challenges are just a matter of confirming that these inconsistencies are true, Shinn said. Some of the senatorial races could be close and may come down to the challenged ballots.

The online voting process went fairly well, he said.

On Monday, the polls officially opened online about 14 minutes late because of technical difficulties, he said.

Study abroad students had problems with the Web site not displaying for them, Shinn said. The problem was later corrected, though, and after that minor setback no complaints were received.

Both Alliger and Groh said they were relieved to be done campaigning.

Alliger, GSB speaker of the senate, said he now has more time to be speaker of the senate and continue working for the students. He said the hardest aspect of the election was the divide any election causes.

“There were battle lines drawn — that bothers me a lot,” he said. “I don’t think any less of anyone else.”

Groh, GSB director of government relations, said she is catching up on sleep and homework now that the campaign is over. She said she did not like that many of her signs and banners were stolen one night during the campaign.

“It was really frustrating when things got too political, if you want to call it that,” she said.

The election results will be announced at 8:30 p.m. Thursday in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.