Qigong offers techniques for healthy living each day

Maria Schwamman

Need a cure for the common cold, menstrual cramps or aching joints?

Instead of going to the doctor, several people in Ames are turning to the traditional practices of Chinese Qigong, a method of regulating posture, breathing and the mind with meditation and gentle movements to prevent illness and increase strength.

Student organization Dragon Arts sponsored a workshop Saturday for students and members of the Ames community who were interested in making Qigong part of their daily lives.

Jimmy Betts, senior in marketing and president of Dragon Arts, says there are two main uses for Qigong.

One is for medical purposes — to improve the quality of life. Betts says the other purpose ties directly into building the strength and balance needed for martial arts.

Saturday’s workshop focused mainly on “medical Qigong” and included three steps.

The first was a standing meditation to build power and strength.

The second was moving the Qigong, which translates to “energy work,” to keep the “Qi” moving and prevent stagnation.

Cornell Garrett, from Dragon Arts of Omaha, Neb., and the instructor of the seminar, says “Qi” is the energy or life force that moves through pathways of the body. When one of the pathways becomes blocked, the Qi cannot move freely through the body and illness may result.

“We create the right environment for the body to fix itself,” Garrett says.

Garrett says the final step is quiet sitting to induce and promote quietude.

He says those who practice Qigong may not be completely free from sickness or injury, but they may be able to recover more quickly than they would without Qigong.

“Let’s say the average time a person gets a virus is probably 10 to 14 days. You’ll have it for maybe one or two, three days max,” he says.

Garrett says for Qigong to be effective, one has to make it a daily part of life and practice at least four times a week.

“If you don’t do it daily, you can’t expect it to have an effect,” he says.

John Burdine, sophomore in political science, says he’s been practicing Qigong for a little more than a year after he began to learn martial arts. He says it is something he will probably continue for the rest of his life. Burdine says he started noticing benefits to his health after about a month of practicing.

“I’m less tired during the day,” he says. “I’m not getting any more sleep, but the sleep is better.”

Betts says he can go on four or five hours of sleep without a problem since he started practicing Qigong.

“For me, I’m really busy,” he says. “I don’t get as tired and I don’t need as much sleep.”

Betts and Burdine say Qigong is not an option but essential to increasing strength in martial arts. Betts says the Qigong he practices is more specialized for those who are serious about martial arts, not just those who want to remain healthy.

Alex Teig, sophomore in microbiology and a first-time participant in Qigong, says he wanted to learn Qigong to improve his flexibility and skills in martial arts. He says after practicing, he noticed an added benefit he wasn’t expecting.

“I’m definitely going to keep on going,” he says. “I think this might even help with my high step for marching band.”

Burdine says practicing Qigong and martial arts is a lifestyle change.

“The rewards are great if you put a lot of commitment into it, but it doesn’t make a great hobby,” he says.