Ag Man, Woman of the Year chosen for their dedication

Eric Lund

Comic books may have their man and woman of steel, but Iowa State has its own superheroes … of agriculture.

Through their dedication to agriculture, Ben Drescher, senior in agricultural education, and Jennifer Taylor, senior in dairy science, have taken the field up, up and away.

Drescher and Taylor received the honorary titles of Ag Man and Woman of the Year on March 11 from the ISU Agriculture Council for their contributions to the College of Agriculture.

Drescher was chosen after giving an impressive interview about his leadership skills and involvement in numerous agriculture-related activities, said Johanna Fithian, member of the National Ag Day Committee and sophomore in animal science. She said Taylor was chosen for her enthusiasm for agriculture, even though she didn’t come from a farming background like most other applicants.

“The award is just given to two people, usually seniors in the College of Agriculture,” said Lorilee Schultz, president of the ISU Agricultural Council and junior in agricultural business. “It’s an honor we give to them; it means they exemplify the character and commitment of a leader in the College of Agriculture.”

Taylor said she has served as president of the Agricultural Council, where she started a recruitment program for the College of Agriculture. She has also worked with high school students interested in agriculture as an agricultural ambassador.

“She came all the way from Hebron, Conn. and came to Iowa State on her own initiative,” Fithian said. “She was really interested and threw herself into agriculture and did a wonderful job.”

Taylor said she wants people to realize that agriculture is much more than farming.

“There are so many more opportunities ag can get you,” she said.

“I think it’s important for people to realize that. I came from a place where ag was taboo in a sense; you heard the word agriculture and you thought ‘farmer.'”

She said she fell in love with dairy as a child after working at a dairy farm.

Drescher, a member of agricultural fraternity Alpha Gamma Rho, said he has been active on the Agricultural Council, the curriculum club for the department of animal science and the Block and Bridal Club.

“From there I was the ag student council representative for Block and Bridal, the next year I served as Block and Bridal president,” he said.

Drescher said he has also been active on the meats and livestock judging teams.

“Basically, I see the award as a great recognition for having a successful college career,” he said.

Fithian said recipients of the award are chosen by the National Ag Day Committee for being advocates for the College of Agriculture. The award process began in February, with seniors hoping to receive the title submitting a resume to the committee, she said. The 22 applicants were then interviewed by the committee, and recipients were announced at the College of Agriculture faculty breakfast, Fithian said.

“Usually, they would ride on the Veishea float,” she said. “This year, we’re having the banquet for them instead.”

The National Ag Day Committee is a division of the ISU Agricultural Council, which represents student organizations associated with agriculture at Iowa State, Fithian said.