Fewer pies means less dough for HRIM student scholarships

Brianna Delphey

Although one ISU tradition will attempt to forge on despite the cancellation of Veishea this year, some ISU students looking for financial aid might be disappointed.

Cherry pies will continue to be sold this spring by students in hotel, restaurant and institution management.

The cancellation of Veishea, however, has made an impact on the amount of pies that will be produced.

Last year, approximately 12,200 pies were sold, but this year only 8,800 pies are anticipated to be sold, as less people are expected to be in Ames to purchase the cherry pies.

This has concerned a number of students on campus who rely on the proceeds from pie sales to help them afford tuition at Iowa State, as the expected decrease in sales roughly equates to an expected 25 percent loss in scholarship funding from sales for hotel, restaurant and institution management students.

“With Veishea being canceled, we’re not able to produce as many pies as we were in the past, so therefore we’re not able to have more scholarship money available to students in our major,” said Minita May, senior executive co-chairwoman of the Cherry Pie Project.

Cherry Pie Project volunteers also face the added difficulty of letting people know pies will still be available this year, May said.

“It’s more of a struggle now because people assume there’s no Veishea, there’s no cherry pies,” said Carl Wertzberger, senior executive co-chairman of the Cherry Pie Project.

Volunteers will be focusing more on advertising this year to ensure the sale of pies continues to be a success, Wertzberger said.

“We’re working hand in hand at McDonald’s to promote cherry pies,” he said.

Pies will also be available for purchase near the McDonald’s on South Duff Avenue on April 15 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., or until all pies are sold.

Pies will also be available in the Joan Bice Underwood Tearoom in MacKay Hall from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., or until all pies are sold.