Student finds unusual medium to showcase artistic expression

Darin Longman

The white panel above the soda cooler in the Gerdin Business Building’s cafe may seem like an unusual place for a work of art.

Brian Buckles, however, saw a canvas.

“I was working [at the cafeteria] and I noticed there was this blank spot up there,” says Buckles, an employee at the cafe. “I thought we should do something cool up there.”

With his co-workers behind him, Buckles grabbed his markers and began working on his first mural.

“I think the first one that we did was a general welcome to the business cafe; it might have had some reference to Cyclone stuff,” says Buckles, junior in graphic design.

After receiving positive comments, Buckles continued to change the mural at the top of the soda fridge periodically. When inspiration would strike, or when the seasons dictated a time for change, Buckles designed a completely new piece for his spot.

He does a great job, says Wanda Mortvedt, supervisor at the cafeteria.

Mortvedt, who helps brainstorm ideas for future murals, says she has enjoyed all of Buckles’ previous creations.

“His turkey at Thanksgiving was awesome,” Mortvedt says. “He did a Garfield one that was neat too, [and] it’s all freestyle.”

Buckles’ freestyle technique is not something new to him either. He says he has had a knack for art since an early age.

“From the very beginning, I just picked it up,” he says. “My parents never really encouraged it; it was just something that happened. I just started drawing.”

Buckles says his art blossomed from an interest in the ocean, but he continued to develop his skills and eventually took his art in a different direction. In high school, Buckles was able to transform his hobby in to a business.

“I started doing portraits of people at my mom’s work. People would ask me to do portraits of their families,” Buckles says. “It was kind of my job during high school.”

Buckles says most of what he did in high school was pencil and charcoal drawings of families. He often found families seeking him out, rather than the other way around.

“It’s been like that, word of mouth; I have always loved it,” he says. “It was nothing anyone really pushed on me.”

Upon leaving high school, Buckles’ particular talents and interests guided him to become a graphic design major at Iowa State.

“My art teacher in high school recommended [Iowa State],” Buckles says. “There were a couple of guys that graduated ahead of me that came up here and I saw some of their work, and they said they loved it.”

Mortvedt also feels Iowa State is a great place for Buckles to showcase his talents. She says she notices the constant praise the murals generate.

“It’s a daily thing,” she says. “We always get compliments on it.”

Although the murals get large amounts of praise and recognition, most people do not know who painted it.

That doesn’t seem to bother Buckles one bit, though.

“I have always loved doing art. The act of doing it is fun, but the biggest thrill of the whole thing is to see the reaction on people’s faces. It doesn’t even matter that a lot of people know that I did it, but just the next day when I come into work, having Wanda tell me someone commented on it is awesome.”