Association analyzes Veishea task force recommendations

Jared Taylor

The Campustown Student Association plans to draft a response to the recommendations of the 2004 Veishea task force report citing concerns about the report’s recommendations’ impact on students.

The association is examining the recommendations of the task force report and is creating new ideas that focus on the welfare and rights of students.

“We don’t feel the recommendations from the task force will be effective or include student input,” said Tony Borich, vice president of the Campustown Student Association.

Borich said he is concerned about the possibility of the university punishing all students by canceling future spring festivals and increasing regulations against students. He also wants a greater focus to be placed on alternative social venues throughout the year for all students.

Borich said he believes ISU students have not taken the opportunity to create ideas that would affect policies for current and future students’ interests and welfare.

“It is very important that students’ voices are heard in this process,” Borich said.

The association plans on presenting its recommendations at the Government of Student Body meeting Wednesday night.

Dean of Students Pete Englin said he welcomes the response to the Veishea task force report.

“The more feedback we get, the better the end result is going to be,” Englin said.

Englin said all suggestions are welcomed and useful as they help influence the long-lasting decisions made throughout the process. He said he feels the association has the same goals in mind as the task force did when it drafted its recommendations.

It is important for students, university staff, faculty and other permanent Ames residents to work together toward the goal of a “one community” concept where every resident creates a positive environment, Englin said.

Ames City Manager Steve Schainker said he believes the recommendations of the Campustown Student Association will have a positive outcome.

“President Geoffroy, Mayor Tedesco and [GSB President] Sophia Magill are always looking for input,” Schainker said.

He said any group trying to create a discussion is a positive action toward eliminating future disturbances and creating a better environment for all students.

“It is good to have discussions and find alternate solutions to common goals,” Schainker said.

Students can participate in a public town hall forum March 7 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The forum will ask for the public’s input on the task force and commission recommendations, if there should be spring festivals in the future and what can be done to ensure the festival’s success.