Indonesian culture, sights and sounds, to adorn Great Hall

Maria Schwamman

Home may not seem so far away on Sunday evening for Neny Isharyanti, graduate student in English from Java, Indonesia, as well as the approximately 100 other Indonesian students at Iowa State.

Isharyanti will be the Master of Ceremony for Indonesian Night 2005. She says she is looking forward to being surrounded by things that will remind her of home. She is especially excited about riding into the event on a becak, a mode of transportation that is a cross between a bicycle and a rickshaw, which she says reminds her most of home.

Azhari Rasuman, junior in architecture and a member of the decoration committee for the event, says the theme of the event is “From Our Eyes to Yours,” and hopes to show the audience what Indonesia is like from the eyes of the students who call Indonesia home.

“I’m concentrating on icons of Indonesian monuments,” he says. “They are the most reminiscent of Indonesia.”

The event will also include a buffet dinner. The dinner won’t just be served in traditional lines, but in several separate or food stands, Rasuman says.

“If you go to Indonesia, the streets are filled with food stands,” Rasuman says. “They’re almost iconic of Indonesian cuisine.”

The Indonesian Student Association sponsors the event, which only occurs once every four to five years.

Muhamad Juhari, senior in electrical engineering and president of the club, says the event is not just limited to members of the Indonesian community. He says he hopes those who aren’t familiar with Indonesia will come to experience the event.

“Mostly we just want to try to educate the Americans about our rich culture,” he says.

Isharyanti says the event is rare because it will portray all the different aspects of Indonesian culture, including the cultural displays, musical performances, dances and native food from five of the 13,000 Indonesian islands.

“[Other events] usually just show one small portion of Indonesia,” she says. “[Indonesian Night 2005 is] quite complete in terms of different ethnic groups and cultures and coverage,” she says.

Isharyanti says she hopes the event will help to educate those who are unfamiliar with Indonesian culture.

“The typical idea of Indonesia as a country is one personality and one culture,” she says. “But there are so many different ethnic groups. We are very diverse.”

Isharyanti says although Indonesia is a diverse country with many differences among the people, the Indonesian community at Iowa State is very close-knit and “communal.”

In addition to the other activities, two bands, Gravity and The Athena, will perform at the event.

Isharyanti is a vocalist for Gravity, and will also sing a cappella performances at the dinner.

“The band is going to play Indonesian popular songs, which are very much influenced by other cultures,” she says.

Handari Putri, junior in pre-business and a member of The Athena, says her all-female band will perform Indonesian oldies. She will also be performing in all of the dances. She says learning about dances native to other Indonesian ethnic groups has been a learning experience.

What: Indonesian Night 2005

Where: Great Hall, Memorial Union

When: 5 p.m. to 9:15 p.m Saturday

Cost: $12 for adults or 2 for $20 (students only)